Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Why is it so hard at times to find joy in the present? We long for what once was, or look to what could be, and grow increasingly frustrated with how things are. We find it nearly impossible to be who we know we are supposed to be, because we do not have what we desire. We are not even sure what it is we desire, we just know it is different than our current set of circumstances.

Finding joy in the moment can be elusive. This should not be, but it often is.

It becomes easy to point to what has happened or to blame those with authority in our lives for how miserable we are in the moment. The misery seldom lasts, but gaining freedom when it overwhelms does not come as swiftly as the pain.

There are times that it is easier to abide in the darkness. As humans we seem to have an affinity for dimly lit surroundings. Perhaps to hide our iniquity, or even to evade our pain. It seldom works, yet we run there as if we have been commanded to go and will only find relief if we arrive quickly.

At times we bring others down. We coerce them into listening to our current set of dire circumstances and then wonder why they do not want to be near.

Who will really stand by you? Who really reaches out in tenderness to meet your needs?

When I arrive at this place I always recognize it. How does my road somehow lead back here with frequency? Where did I miss my turn? When did the Red Sea part and then consume my enemies and I did not see it?

Why do I feel so alone, when there are so many others residing at this address?

Deception. It's all lies. I am not alone.

Have I really become the captive, recently set free from bondage only to beg to return to my binds? I thought only dogs returned to feast on what once was.

Do I seem to walk alone because the enemy presses in or is the enemy pressing in because he perceives I am walking alone?

Where is relief? What thought or action releases me from this prison?

I have not stopped praying...seeking. His Word lies open. My eyes journey through, but despair grows. Am I giving victory away or is it being stolen? What stems this tide?


I must cling to Him. Having been here before, I know the veil will lift and clarity will return. It won't happen in my time. I must endure this journey. Somehow I know He will use it in my life. I always think I suffer well...until I suffer. I don't do it well. He's the only one I know that does.

Suffering somehow begets joy. It is not a straight line event. It is never the shortest distance between two points. It is a rough and blister producing trek. Somehow, the offspring is peace and joy.

If I can only remember.

dad

8 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm there with you

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah! thank you for putting that to words!

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

definitely cna understand what you mean. I'll be praying for you-marley b

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you for the reminder and the Spirit's reminder...

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-3

And thankfully,

"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him, but let him ask in faith without any doubtin, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea driven and tossed by the wind". James 1:5-6

Thank you, Lord!

Continuing to pray for your strength and thanking the Lord for your witness in the good, bad, & difficult times!

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the joy of peace mediate through you through His Holy Spirit and give you rest in this time. There are so many who are praying for you today --- through this blog. Know that I am one of them.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, nike free, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, burberry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louboutin pas cher, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, nike free, jordan shoes

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, abercrombie and fitch, lacoste pas cher, nike air max, coach outlet, true religion jeans, ugg boots, ray ban uk, sac guess, vanessa bruno, tn pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, ugg boots, kate spade handbags, nike roshe, hollister, hermes, new balance pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, burberry outlet online, michael kors, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike blazer, nike free run uk, nike air max, vans pas cher, burberry, michael kors, north face, north face, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, air force, coach outlet, true religion jeans, timberland, mulberry, michael kors outlet, hogan, hollister pas cher, oakley pas cher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home