Tuesday, November 04, 2008


Longing...


This morning I feel like a little kid. I completed an adult activity, but I feel like a child. Why? I am not sure.

Maybe the euphoria of fulfilling a right. Maybe the method of having to fill that right. Maybe both.

I voted this morning. One of the most important elections of my time on this earth, and I got to vote! Woohoo!

In the past, I have voted in Indiana where we used machines of one sort or another. We had no issues with "hanging chads" or any other mistake as the machine would only allow you to vote for one candidate per section.

I live in a different state and the method is more... childlike!

Do you remember some of the coloring books you had as a child? You know, where you had to complete the dots to discover the picture? 'Dot to dot' or draw a line from number to number in ascending order? These type schemes taught us to... draw lines, I guess.

Well, this morning I put all of those learning skills from my childhood to use. I got to complete the arrows! Every candidate had broken arrows pointing at his or her name. If you want to vote for that candidate, you have to fill in the arrow! Wee!

I live in city that has a suburb called Broken Arrow. Perhaps this is why we use this method. Perhaps this method has gone national, I really don't know. For sure, there are no 'hanging chads,' but I fear a new problem will emerge.

I got consumed drawing pretty lines and was disgusted that 'black felt tip' was the only color of pen they would let me use. I wanted my ballot to express my inner child, and this lone color was not filling the need!

Where was orange and red and yellow? Why not let me match my ballot to my outfit? If you dress for your mood, why not vote in the colors of your mood? The end result does not change... or does it?

The problem with connecting the arrows is that I got caught up in making it look good. I was compelled to make my ballot symmetrical. There was no room for lopsided coloring. Sometimes, I needed to vote for both candidates to make my ballot balanced.

I haven't drawn on dot to dot schemes since I was... I don't remember. It sure was fun. To be truthful, I am not sure if my ballot was going to be accepted or not. I did not want to get a lower grade for not being creative enough. Come to think of it, when I stuck it in the cool machine that ate my ballot, it made funny noises. Maybe that was the noise of laughter or rejection. Maybe it was the noise of, "Wow, way cool!"

At any rate, I got to vote and I am giddy.

I can poke fun at the process, but that does not reduce the need to fulfill this right. It is important!

We need to stand for what we believe in. We need to stand for Christ! We need to vote for those who best represent Him.

It is not always easy, but it is our right, and I am thankful for it!

Don't forget to vote!

Oh yeah... I got a cool sticker for all my effort... maybe that is why I am so joyful! I don't usually wear stickers, but this one makes me happy! It says, "I Voted."

brent

2 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, found it an odd experience to be drawing lines at the voting booth today. I have to admit, at first I was taken aback and a bit confused having graduated from the "hanging chads" form of voting to that of touch screen. Now we are back to drawing! Hmmm...maybe there is a lesson in there, Brent. Something about "back to the basics?" I don't know maybe you can come up with something.

Lisa Potter
Santa Cruz, CA

p.s. I got a cool sticker too!

p.s.s. I really appreciated your comments from yesterday. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home