Thursday, December 20, 2007

THE BOOK IS HERE, THE BOOK IS HERE, THE BOOK IS HERE!!! PRAISE JESUS!!!


The most special gifts are homemade. It seems with homemade gifts you get a
little of the heart of the person making it. What some people can craft with their hands and some basic items, like a paper sack, a sprig of pine, buttons, etc., I’m always amazed. The creativity and time of the giver is part of the gift itself.

This year I got the most precious gift I’ve ever received from a student. The students’ mother made it. I think she sells them too, it appears to be her business. I was wowed I have to say. First of all, this particular student is not in a class I teach. He is part of the 4th grade singers that meet before school. The other two music teachers invited me to help out over the holiday season. The group sang at a special Veterans Day concert and then had some gigs at various places here in Tulsa for Christmas. My part in helping lead the choir has been minimal. That’s the reason for my surprise at receiving this most incredible gift. I’ll describe it for you but I know right now I can’t do it justice.

It is a ½ inch thick, wooden, 18” by 12” cross with a black wrought-iron doorknocker attached in the center. It has a reddish stain applied to the wood and the verse that hangs from the knocker is Luke 11:9 “Ask and it shall be given to you, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and the door will be opened unto you.” I’m getting emotional again just typing it. On the other side of the verse is “Cross your Heart Designs by Kim.” The mother’s face is one of kindness and obvious spiritual strength. She’s a beautiful lady and looks familiar to me for some reason, but I don’t think I’ve met her before. Her son is equally as kind. The students in this choir have very strong character traits; they are a joy to work with and have such a pure sound when they sing – every music teacher’s dream.

So, that’s my story today. A gorgeous, undeserved, meaningful gift was given to me, virtually a stranger to this family. A beautiful, handmade gift that served as a poignant reminder of the reason we celebrate the season.

I have to admit, sometimes, way too often, I miss out on the joy of giving. I get all stressed out about the cost of everything.

Gift giving is a way to give us a glimpse of what Jesus did for us. By giving thoughtfully and creatively, we bring the glory back to God.

Mom

5 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Seems like a really nice gift. How nice.

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool...
God Bless
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow is right. Mind if I 'steal' the idea for our prayer room bulletin board at church? The current one is getting a little stale! Praying (hoping my pre-order is waiting at home!)
Mark \O/

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

I especially love it that you wrote about gifts today and then God gave you another very precious and long-long-long awaited one.

He's like that, isn't He?

Thanks for all the reminders of who He is and what He can do in lives that are fully yielded to Him.

STILL and ALWAYS praying in pink
with extra-tender love,

Marti

 
At 2:09 AM, Anonymous Young said...

Wow. Seems like a really nice gift. How nice.  

 

Post a Comment

<< Home