Thursday, April 03, 2008


Our two beautiful girls!


A note to the blogger who asked about Hanta Virus yesterday: This virus was ruled out. So was most every other possible virus or disease. The one that matched best as far as symptoms, was Bubonic Plague. The doctors in Peru and our infectious disease Doctor both believe this is what BJ had been infected with. There was one positive test result for Plague, but two postitives are required for diagnosis. The Plague is highly contagious. None of BJ's teammates, his close friends or his family were ever infected. For this reason among others, we believe that the Lord was using BJ's life...his testimony to point others to Christ. That it was not about a disease or infection that claimed a life, but about a young man who the Lord had spoken to and revealed that he would lay his life down for his faith. He shared this with closest friends, and continued to follow the Lord in obedience. He was willing to do whatever it took to point others to Jesus. That is what his life was about, and is what the Lord desires that each of our lives be about. Thank you for reading and asking the question!


This past Sunday, my pastor used a video at the beginning of his message. In it ran a story from Memphis of a 92 year old woman who was shopping. She got into her car after finishing, only to have a man open her passenger door, get in, and demand her money.

She refused!

He argued with her. She told him that if he chose to shoot her, as he was threatening to do, that she would be with Jesus and that he was headed to hell. As she continued to speak to him about his lost and desperate state, tears filled his eyes and began to run down his face. His tense posture relaxed as she told him of Jesus Christ the saving One.

He listened intently to her.

When she was finished, she opened her purse and gave him her last $10.00, and told him that she wanted him to have her money, but that he better not spend it on whiskey!

He leaned over gently and kissed her on the cheek before he left.

She had faced death and spoken of Christ!

This week, one of the men I work with was running errands with me. We had stopped off at the post office to drop off and retrieve mail. We pulled into the full lot and found a place to park. I waited with the car while he went in and made the exchange.

I listened to music and waited.

A few minutes later, I caught a glimpse of his red jacket. There was a problem however. If this was my partner clad in his red jacket, he was going to the wrong car.

It all happened quickly and there was nothing I could do but watch. I could see that this car was occupied similarly, by a driver waiting on someon inside.

The story of this dear 92 year old woman raced through my mind as I watched my friend open the car door of an adjacent vehicle and start to get in.

As he began to enter, he looked over and saw the startled expression of the driver. He quickly apologized for his mistake and told him, "I'm getting into the wrong silver SUV!"

He closed the door, made his was around that car to mine. The man opened his car door and was looking at my friend face to face. He said, "I'm the one who is 63, I'm supposed to be getting into the wrong car, not you!"

We both laughed. I think my friend was embarassed. I know I was embarassed for him.

I didn't "tell on him" when we arrived back at the office. I've done enough silly things to know that not every foolish act needs to be relayed.

The next day, when I had still not told on him, he chided me in the presence of other staff for not having done so.

So, I shared. They all had a good laugh.

How often do we get so involved in what we are doing, that we fail to recognize that we are opening wrong doors?

If we are walking in obedience to Jesus, we will quickly recognize our mistake and can back out. When we do, Jesus may look us full in the face, and with grace encourage us for choosing wisely.

When we act foolishly, let us be fools for Christ.

dad

2 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished reading your book. What a beautiful life your son led. Not only was I very moved by this book, but I also felt very challenged. God uses anyone he wishes. Age, gender, background, location, etc., He has no bias. I am making this book a priority for my children to read.

There's an urgency being stirred up. I sense it every day. An urgency to get things right (our daily walk). We need to have that boldness that BJ had. We need to be secure in God's word that He will protect us and accomplish all things for His glory. I pray that God gives us that boldness and that we love Him enough to be obedient to His leading.

You are an amazing family and a mighty weapon of God. Thank you for sharing BJ's story. I know that my life is already being changed by reading it. May our Lord and Savior continue to give you grace and mercy as you continue to go fourth in His way. I pray that all God's children will "get it" and understand that "it's not about me, it's about God." We are simply clay in the Potters hands. AMEN!

 
At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent & Deanna... I just wanted to stop by and say hi! I just bought 2 of the books from the store that I work at. There is one pic of BJ in there that reminds me of how I got to know him and see your family outside of our church setting (NSB). I was very apprehensive going on that youth camp because of my fear of the outdoors and roughing it. The memories I took from that experience will forever be engraved. Watching Whitney & Lauren and your family just really inspired me. Taking time after lunch with you to pray for that trip, the kids and leaders was amazing. I looked forward to that daily. Watching BJ that summer of 2003 was some what funny because I believe that was his first girlfriend that summer. I just want you to know that I think about you guys and the greatness of it all. Always in our thoughts.. your sister in Christ,
Karla Frei

 

Post a Comment

<< Home