Wednesday, April 02, 2008


Taken two years ago, just before the move south, we stand beside the tree planted in BJ's honor.


I received an email from my brother this morning. He was letting me know that he had recently heard from a college friend he hadn't spoken to in nearly 18 years. She had been looking at her daughters "Brio" magazine (from Focus on the Family) and had seen our book advertised...one of two books they recommended.

She knew nothing of the situation. Seeing our names, she felt it had to have been our book. She began calling friends and family trying to find out if anyone knew for sure. Ultimately, she connected with someone who knew, and she ended by calling Brad.

Being a mom herself, once realizing all that had happened, she wept. Every parent can sense this pain by merely reflecting on how it might feel to lose your own child.

I must admit, that when I hear stories like this I am often overwhelmed by raw emotion. I will always want to hear people's stories. I am just surprised at how close to the surface all of this resides...and with such intensity.

To see how the Lord continues to be glorified is a blessing. We are very thankful for this. We are grateful to hear from people who have read and have been stirred by the Spirit of the Lord.

The Lord was showing me this morning much about His time in the garden, before the betrayal and crucifixion. I was moved by His agony in having to pray alone. He had brought three with Him to also pray, but they could not handle it, and slept.

I was reminded through this, that though we felt very alone at times, we never were. Nor have we been since. Many tried to sleep during our journey, and could not. The Lord remembering His own pain in having to pray alone, saw fit to keep many of you up to pray, while we tried to sleep. This is ovwerwhelming to realize.

We have sensed and known the multitude of prayers continuously offered on our behalf. We have much to be thankful for. We are most appreciative of the surrender and faithfulness that many of you walk in. There are many more who no longer visit here that have been part of this process. We are so very encouraged to have had each of you as part of our lives.

Thank you for giving of yourselves as the Lord has prompted you. Thank you for blessing our lives.

brent

6 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent!

I'm in tears as I read, which is pretty typical, and I reflect back on the time BJ was in the hospital. I checked the blog EVERY chance I got and the Lord called me to fast and pray for BJ for 3 weeks. My heart shattered the day I got the call from Walker telling me that BJ was gone! I lost a brother that day, who became VERY dear to my heart! I have to say, I thought in those days that the Lord was calling me to fast for BJ because he would be healed, but I learned a VERY important lesson ... God calls us to fast and pray because it serves HIS WILL, not ours! We are just called to be obedient so that the Lord may shine through!

I deeply hunger for the passion I had back then ,,, please pray for that in my life! I know it is still there, I just have been distracted by growing tired ... please pray! :)

My love and prayers to you ALL!

Hugs, too!

Laurel Lynn <><
Greeley, CO
laurelm79@yahoo.com

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I don't comment much, I have read your entries faithfully since BJ was in the hospital. They are a part of my daily computer time. I don't know you or your family,(only through this blog)but I always pray for you all. Thank you for giving of your time. It really does mean alot.
God bless all of you.

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read alot of your blog and wonder did they ever test him for hanta virus? There is no cure and the way he rapidly deteriorated sounds like what I have read and understand about it. The virus was first identified during the Korean war and is found in South America.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

To the previous blogger and others: Yes, this (hanta virus) was one of the options considered during BJ's six-week ordeal.

As explained in I WOULD DIE FOR YOU, the CDC test results were inconclusive because of the combination of antibiotics prescribed prior to BJ's hospitalization. You can read more about this in the book.

The Higgins certainly understand the question. As their friend and writer, I would like to note that their heart in sharing I WOULD DIE FOR YOU was to emphasize their son's life message and ministry rather than the specifics of his death.

Again as noted in the book, the only way BJ would have ever agreed to a book about his life would have been if it pointed others to his amazing God.

We think it does.
We believe it will!

praying in pink
with tender love,

Marti Pieper
friend and writer, IWDFY

 
At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi. you dont know me but my names Amy and i live in new zealand. ive just finished reading bj's book and would just like to tell you how amazing you and bj are. BJ has through his journal's showed me the mistakes i have been making, and i now know that i need to change.
i would die for you is definitely not going to be a book ill read and forget.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger debbie said...

Brent, Deanna, and girls,
I'm the friend from years ago.... I'm heartbroken for you, for the road you've had to journey, but a million thank yous for your transparency, and for allowing JESUS to use your very personal pain and BJ's story.
With love,
Debbie Ingalls

 

Post a Comment

<< Home