Wednesday, July 02, 2008

For the past couple of days my computer has been giving me constant warning messages that it is infected with viruses and that I need to take immediate action. When I click on the icon to run the suggested program it runs through the files in my computer and shows how many infected files I have, but gives no course of action. When I click on their provided prompt buttons to do anything that looks useful, nothing happens. When I click on the highlighted names of the programs are displayed in the box, the names of the spyware systems that are (apparently) allerting me, it describes them as being "misleading applications that may give exaggerated reports of threats on the computer". Upon closer reading, the warning system itself appears to be the virus, or at the very least, a problem.

Now I'm not what you call computer literate and must admit that things like this tend to throw me off balance and just give me something more to worry about. I'm sure I need to do something about it, but I'm not sure what (ignoring it doesn't seem to be a good option).

How like life today in our culture; as we become more and more reliant, accepting or numb to the daily blasts of technology, advertising and encouragement to be open-minded and just accept everyone and everything as it is, we become desensitized to the little voice in our head, that spirit of discernment that the Lord has placed there for our protection. It becomes confusing in the noise of life to know if the little voice we are hearing is that spirit of discernment with the halo or the spirit of the world with the pointy tail. In other words, our warning systems become infected as we become more and more like the world around us and we can come to a point where we've "fallen to the bottom of a well thinking we've risen to the top of the mountain; what if we're knocking at the gates of hell thinking we're heaven bound." (lyrics from "Living Life Upside Down")

This is why we must be in His Word regularly, to have a real familiarity with what He has told us...because He won't tell us something now that contradicts what He has shared with us there.

Praying that your internal warning system isn't a virus,

Brad

6 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad,

Amen. and email me at matt.pritchett@awestar.org for help with that virus. Praying for you brother!

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought your book about BJ from Focus on the Family a few weeks ago & finished it within 2 days. BJ was truly a young man living for Jesus Christ! When you talked in the book about the blog I thought I'd check it out, knowing it was a long time ago & might not be running anymore. Since then I've been "catching up" reading your posts starting from when BJ was sick. They have truly been an inspiration to me...the way you as a family have held on to Christ through this all!

I just read your post written on January 3, 06...at first I wasn't sure why I felt so led to read all your old entries...but today that was revealed to me. You talked about how Deanna was the spiritual leader of your home for 14 years & how she prayed for you to step up.

There is a feeling going through me that I can't explain...relief maybe...knowing that I'm not the only one...knowing that there are other Christian men out there who don't take that role right away & that I'm not the only wife who longs for it.

My husband is living for the Lord, but has never taken that role in our family either. We've been married 8 years & have 3 kids (boy, girl, boy ages 6, 4, & 3). More than anything I long for him to take that role for our kids' sake.

I hope you don't mind me "snooping" in on your lives & taking the liberty to write to you like this...I felt God leading me to write, so I'm trusting Him. I've never told anyone else about this as I feel it is my responsibility to lift up my husband...for that reason I will remain anonymous...a sister in Christ who would genuinely appreciate your prayers (& advice) if you feel led.

God bless you all as you continue serving Him!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying my husband to be a leader as well! There are so many more like you than you realize. Keep praying girl, God is working and dont get discouraged if your husband may fight it tooth and nail....for awhile. God wants him to step up as much as you do!

Brad, thanks for the constant encouragement. I found your post today to really hit the nail on the head. It saddens me to see how many people are desensitized to the things around them. Just another prayer to add to my list.

My dad is hanging in there...today makes day 20 on the ventilator. They may try and take him off of it today and see how he does...the problem is we have signed a DNR form so that includes not re-venting him. My biggest prayer is that dad does well on his own. Please continue to pray for him.
(David Jump). Thanks and my prayers still are being lifted for all of you.

Your sister in Christ,
Debbie
Florence KY

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

7-7-08* Praise GOD for answered prayers! They took my dad off the Ventelator on Friday and he is holding his own VERY WELL!!! He has a long road towards recovery but thankfully he is breathing on his own and God has given us some more time with him. Thanks for the prayers!!!

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
Im a 15 year old girl and I recently read the "I would die for you." Before I read this book God had put it on my heart to seriously consider becoming a missionary. After Reading this book I have no doubt in my mind what I am supposed to be. BJ was an amazing man and I can't wait to meet him in heaven. I thought to myself how I would like to be like Bj, then it accured to me that I don't want to be like BJ but to be like Christ whom BJ was like. I want to thank you for this amazing book I could only wish I had met BJ on this earth but I know I will meet him soon enough.
Lots of love and Gratitude from a sister in Christ.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Jane said...

You are so right about the consistent reading of God's Word. Our spiritual condition can not improve without His guidance. Thank you for the encouragement...you are such a blessing. As for your antisoftware program, I believe that using ZoneAlarm and AV have helped me to overcome the virus infection problems. They are both free and easy to use. May God bless your computer and family!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home