Friday, May 22, 2009


Four members of BJ's last team came to visit us the January after he passed away.


The past couple of days have been long, and exhausting, but in a good way. I am trying to prepare the team we have going to Uganda. I met with the leaders of that team yesterday. They will be working with the Karamojong tribe for 8 weeks. They will be stationed in the mountains above Moroto.

The team comes together for training on Sunday, and will depart on Thursday. We are almost ready!

Simultaneously, Walker Moore (President of Awe Star) and I have been helping one of our staff and good friends, get a roof on his parents house before it rains!

I don't think you could call either one of us "skilled labor" in this arena. We both have experience from the past (he more than me) and were able to help with the "grunt" work.

For the past two afternoons, we have headed out to their country home to do what we could, to help. By the time we left last evening, all of the new decking and shingles were up, except for some finishing touches.

After the first afternoon, I was not sore or 'feeling it,' much. Today, I do feel it, and I don't want to feel it anymore.

Honestly, this family was so appreciative of our menial labor. In total, those of us working were, two sons (one of whom is on our staff) and their father (who is about my age).

For as long as I have known this family, the father has been battling brain cancer. For months, his vision was decreasing and his equilibrium fading. It was extremely frustrating for him and this family.

It is difficult not to be fearful through such events. They have persevered. Recently, he began some new treatments that have increased his vision and his equilibrium substantially enough, that he was on the roof with us!

The sons (both college students) showed concern for their father, but did not limit his movement. They did seek his approval, and he gave it.

It was such a pleasure to be able to assist a family that reflected Christ in their relationships.

There was the obligatory sibling rivalry. Walker worked with the older brother and I with the younger. The older had spent a summer as a laborer on a roofing crew, so he knew what he was doing. The younger has so much knowledge in so many areas, that it is intimidating. He isn't, but his wisdom is.

Last summer, when we were training our teams for the summer and Whitney came to see me and her car broke down, it was this younger son, Kenny who fixed it!

He takes care of the information systems in our office. He leads our teams to Chile. I have served with him in Mexico, Ecuador and Peru. He is a remarkable young man.

During our Missions conference last November, one of the young ladies from his last Chile team and her mom and little sister had car trouble, and Kenny drove over three hours to assist them and bring them safely to the event.

We didn't even have to ask...he felt the responsibility for this young lady because she had been on his team...he had been her leader. The best leaders are first excellent followers...of Christ!

I am thankful to have the privilege of serving alongside such remarkable young men as he!

Should the Lord tarry, the future of His ministry rests in the hands of young men such as Kenny. I praise God for him, and the loving way he cares for his family, his friends, office staff and his teams!


brent

3 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger KK said...

Kenny is awesome.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

I had the opportunity to speak with Kenny the week before the great roof event. I was touched by his desire to minister to his parents in this way. Thanks for your willingness to serve him and his family, Brent.

Kenny is definitely a person who impresses you more and more as you get to know him better. When he told me of his deep love for every individual on the teams he leads, I realized anew that he and others like him (including the one who posted above) are major factors in our decision to send our children to serve with Awe Star year after year.

Thanks for the wonderful picture, Brent, and for the great great example, Kenny.

"A pupil is not above his teacher, but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher" (John 10:40).

with tender love
and prayers in pink,

Marti

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous adeildo.filho@oi.com.br said...

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

My name is Adeildo and I am writing from Curitiba, a city in south region of Brazil, South America.

First of all I would like to tell that we always remember of you in our prayers. I stay knowing about BJ’s history a some months ago after I bought a CD of Mercy Me and I was amazed about the history. Since that time I am telling the testimony of BJ’s life to a lot of youths and teenagers group of our churches over here.

I think important to tell you that BJ’s testimony have been shared and used to motivate a lot of people (specially the teenagers) on this side of america. We do not know all plans of God to us but I have no doubt that the BJ’s life is a beautiful message to our generation an to the next ones.

Sorry for my mistakes on my English writing but I am just a brazilian guy trying to say thank you. God bless you ever!

In the love of Christ.

Adeildo Nascimento
Curitiba/Parana/Brazil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home