Tuesday, May 19, 2009


My girls


For those who don't know me, yes, the end of the last blog was a feeble attempt at humor.


I met a man through my ministry here, who at the age of 73 has developed a significant missions heart. I first learned of him after we moved here, and heard his name on occasion in our office.

By his admission, he refused to do anything with his Christian life until three or four years ago. By that time, he had lived a significant portion of his life and marriage, knowing what Scripture taught him to do, but ignoring it.

He and his wife had become complacent, together. The pastor at his church admitted to him that he never shared his faith with anyone either, unless they came to the church asking questions, or sat in Sunday services. In effect, Sunday after Sunday, week after week for over half a century, preaching happened, but there was no connection to action or real change in life...reportedly, for anyone in this church.

A few years back, he realized that he could not sit and do nothing any longer. He got involved with a jail ministry and a Sunday morning truck stop ministry. His wife thought he had lost his mind. She told him he didn't need to do any of those things as a sinner saved by grace. He told her the Bible teaches that we are to live our lives as a reflection of our Savior. He couldn't do that by sitting at home any longer. The Lord wanted more from him.

My first trip to Peru, I got an email from our office requesting that I bring this man a large map of Peru. He had recently funded a church plant in the country and wanted to know the geography of this nation.

Since then, he has funded seminaries in both Peru and Malawi.

God has been doing a significant work in this mans life! He who could not publicly share his faith, now does so frequently. He uses his life to speak Truth to others.

He and his wife gave generously to missions over the last couple of years, as the Lord drew him closer.

After nearly 55 years of marriage, his wife succumbed to cancer on Mother's Day. He buried her Wednesday of last week.

He said when his wife took ill, he had incredible peace from the Lord. He knew it was the Lord because over a dozen years ago, she had been diagnosed with another cancer and it nearly crushed them both. They struggled to combat the disease then, as she went through 24 chemo treatments that seemingly, ravaged her body.

He had a terrible time then. He is at complete peace now.

The peace of a loving Savior resides within this man. He came to our office yesterday and spent the day with us. He went to dinner with Deanna, Lauren and I last night, and then spent the night in our home.

He spoke of his bride with such love and care. He gave credit to Jesus, for bringing him through. He knows the Lord has plans for him to continue ministry for the remainder of his life. He is working with his children and grandchildren to do likewise. He is "testing the waters" to see if perhaps he can go overseas to do ministry.

He is a blessing to me. He is a blessing to his family. He is a blessing to the heart of God. I wish he were the rule, rather than the exception. At a time of significant grief in his life, he is pointing others to the Savior!

I thank God for his witness!


brent

4 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Brent. It was an encouraging story for me.

Lisa
Santa Cruz, CA

P.S. I thought the comment at the end of yesterday's blog was funny too. My husband bought me bell earrings one time (at my request) and when asked by his friends why he would want to buy ones that made noise, he said, "I can keep track of her that way!"

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog today! I have not visited here in faaar tooo looong and I need to change that! Reading your writings is like a devotional to me and always points me to the Lord!

I will be praying for this man! It shows that you are never too old for God to grab hold of your heart & never give it back ;)

I know a family like the man you speak of! They too have suffered great loss, along with their 2 daughters, and they continue to show others Christ through there lives & struggles & joys & pains ;) Thank you for being that light to us!

We all love you!

Laurel

P.S. I really hope to meet you someday! I just need to suck it up & take a road trip down there ;) Blessings and hugs to you!

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

I wish I had met him, too. I still think a "www.prayforbj.com" anonymous (or not so anonymous) bloggers-and-friends mission trip is a great idea!

My vote: if Deanna gets the kitty bell, Brent should have the doggy invisible fence and collar to keep him in his proper perimeter and avoid hallway confusion. (I guess I'll have to post later and explain my attempt at humor?)

Praying bloggers: Brent and Deanna are intently preparing for another summer on the mission field. Please lift them up. I know he'll share more later.

praying in pink
with tender love!

 
At 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home