Thursday, February 16, 2012


Days gone by...


Last weekend, Deanna and I found and watched an old VHS tape. It was the 'Wizard of Oz.'

I confess, I fast forwarded through parts I did not care to watch. Apparently, there were many as we watched the whole thing in less than a half hour. "What's the point?" you might ask.

It's always interesting to see a video in ff motion. You can get the gist of the show without having to listen to all of the cumbersome dialogue. We got to the scenes we desired to review in haste, then enjoyed them.

I realize that few would join me in this endeavor, but Deanna and I liked it just fine.

There are parts of my life I wish I could rewind and delete. There are parts I wish I could rewind and relive. Then there are those times that I would fast forward through to perhaps learn what I can, but not have to dwell too long. Finally, there are moments I'd live in slow motion to get the absolute most out of.

None of these are options, of course.

What we can do is enjoy life to its fullest, as we never know what tomorrow holds. Many of us seem to reside in the longing for whats in the future. Yet, what our Heavenly Father desires for us to embrace is what happens in the journey along the way.

I know there are things that I would remember with greater fondness, had I been fully present in the moments. I cannot relive time with my son, other than the seeming few memories that I can draw upon.

I find myself wishing I had fully invested in many of the moments I did have. What if I had listened to the long version of his stories? What if I had not been in a hurry?

He was always gracious and forgiving. His heart was huge and amazing.

I know that is part of the reason that we find it necessary to reflect back. Honestly, its the reason I pulled out 'The Wizard of Oz.'

You see, it wasn't the cinematic version of the movie.

It was the 5th grade musical version that he played "Oz" in. It was so funny to see him as "Oz, the great an powerful," when he was visibly so much smaller than the other students.

His voice and confidence transcended his size. Somehow, it was appropriate that he played this role. In the play, he was costumed and hidden by a much larger facade. It was that much more comical when he stepped out from behind his costume.

Similar to Oz, he saw the good in others and helped them see their giftedness as well. They didn't need the things they thought they needed.

They needed someone who believed in them, someone to point out what they already had. He did this well.

His Savior does it even better.

I am very thankful for the very few visual recordings that we have. Yes, I fast forward through the parts that don't contain him. However, even in those recordings, I am reminded of the impact he's had on the lives of those I fast forward past.

Here I learn a valuable lesson. I am reminded to slow down, and to seek to serve others.

What a great example!


dad

2 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a post! Thank you for sharing your heart.

MB

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger gilbert said...

I love to hear of BJ - his influence continues - he is still speaking, and the Lord is bringing in a great harvest from his life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home