Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I feel very fortunate to be surrounded by people who are so giving. It would be impossible for me to name everyone, and I will not try. I do, however want to share about a few, this week.

About a year ago, we began to receive blogs from a precious lady who was a transplant from Australia. Her resources are limited as it is illegal for her to work in the US. That did not stop her from doing what she could to bless my family. "She did what she could," (Mk. 14:8) are words that leap to mind from Scripture that describe her actions.

She is a devoted follower and worshipper of Christ. Of the things that minister most deeply to her soul, listening to worship music is at the top. One of the ways she reached out to my family was to compile several cd's of her favorite Praise music. These cd's found their way to our player, and were utilized for hours during the time shortly after BJ passed.

During this same period she knew the medical bills were mounting, and wanted to help in some way. Since her own options were limited, she did what she could. Another of her favorite things to do is to 'quilt.' She offered to make a quilt that we could auction off to help defray our seemingly insurmountable debt. She began to work.

She has walked the 'valley of the shadow' in her own life over the last year, with her own family. She would from time to time, as prompted by the Lord, pull out the patchwork, and involve herself in stitching therapy.

This therapy helped her work through her own experience as she sought the Lord's will for her life and that of her husband. These were difficult days, as her daughter was walking through a very dark era. Difficult decisions had to be made. Decisions that no parent wants to make.

God was faithful, and in following His will and direction, their daughter has made vast improvements. Following Him in the darkness, seems at times futile and foolish to our own way of thinking. However, their obedience has brought about blessing.

A blessing they have shared. During one of the most difficult periods of her own life, she was preparing a love offering for another. She did what she could.

About a week ago, Deanna and I had dinner with she and her husband, Kevin. It was the day before BJ's birthday, four days after the first anniversary of his death.

When all this began, and she made an offer to us, I remember posting on this site, "How will you get it to us?" I had no idea that a year later, we would live an hour or two apart.

Our friends, arrived in Tulsa to share their love offering. Out of an enormous gift bag came one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen. In a pattern she describes as "Jacobs Ladder," with bright blue shades to reflect his life, a king sized quilt emerged.

We were moved by its size and beauty! We did not have words.

Then she turned it over, and our hearts leapt and were flooded simultaneously. On the back of this lovely gift, stitched into the fabric were pictures of BJ, quotes of his writing, lyrics of songs that have been important to us, a quote from the blog from one of the single most important men in Beej's life, and over in one corner, a name that has become synonymous with God's blessing in the life of the Higgins' family...

...Linda Ronne.

We do not have any of intention of auctioning this incredible keepsake. It will always remind us of God's provision and blessing...both to us, and to others. It will find it's way to a bed in one of the rooms of our new home...well, when we get one.

Linda taught us the same lesson that the woman with the alabaster jar at Bethany had. She did what she could.

We can bless the lives of others simply by using what the Lord has given us or gifted us with.

Thank you Linda!

brent

7 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! What a blessing!

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I would love to see it! - and to think that you live near each other now! What a small world!

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I just said that out loud. Wow.

I want to be like that!

To your glory & honor Lord. We love you & your ways!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Brent,
You humble me with your kind words today. It was such a joy for Kevin and I to be able to share that time with you and Deanna.
And it was such a joy to put each and every stitch into the quilt. It definately was and is therapy for me to quilt, it's my quiet time with the Lord, my time to pray for others as I sit and sew, to listen to worship music. I thank God each time I sit down to sew for the gifts and talents He has so generously given me, and am so blessed to be able to share them with others.

It's amazing looking back over a year to see what the Lord has done, it's not until you take the time to actually "look" and you truely see ALL that He has done. Those valley's are sometimes, no usually always difficult places to walk, and many times it is only faith that guides you through, but once you've made it through one valley you know in your heart that with the guidance of the Holy Spirit you can make it through the next. That's not to say that I enjoy walking valleys, but with it brings growth and renewed faith and trust in the Lord. (I think I'm preaching to myself today)..... So I encourage those of you who have your own valley that your walking through to Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

In His Love
Linda

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brent & Deanna, WOW, what a beautiful gift. How lovely are those who can create such a precious gift. I'm sure she thought of you all and prayed over every stitch she made. Imagine how many prayers that must of been. How wonderful you actually got to meet each other and live so close. GOD is GOOD, all the time!!! Love & miss ya, Marlena

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a while and I apologize! Does anyone know the biblical definition for "Brent"? I think it should be "Bringer of the tears" and he should come with a warning disclaimer that reads "Beware - may cause eyes to tear up or become overwhelmed by tears. Look on the bright side, tears are good for your eyes and your soul PLUS - God stores them all in a bottle."

hahaha - we love ya, Brent! Thank you for always sharing such a pure and encouraging word of thanks!

Blessings~

Laurel

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am absoloutely amazed at the comments that have been left by my fellow blog family.

I want to let you know that this was not done in the hopes that I would receive recognition, but that Brent and Deanna would feel the prayers being sent up to heaven on their behalf by all of you who have faithfully stood in the gap, and most importantly that the Lord would receive all the praise glory and honor.

This is a gift of love not just from myself and my husband, but from each and every one of you who have been touched by BJ and his incredible life, who have been touched and moved by Brent and Deanna. Just a token of our appreciation for their faithfulness, their love and their endurance to stand on the solid Rock in times of trouble.

Brent and Deanna I pray that you will feel all the prayers (not just my own) of those who have been on bended knees seeking the face of God for you both.

May God continue to guide your every step, in everything you do to bring glory and honor to His wonderful name, and may He bless you beyond your imagination.
I pray that BJ (through the voice of his parents) would continue to touch the lives of those who so desperately need the love of Jesus.

In His Love
Linda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home