Tuesday, July 08, 2008

It’s impossible to explain how meaningful it is to hear from people who have read the book. Thank you for letting us know your thoughts and how it has moved and inspired you. With every account, we are affirmed and encouraged as we know the credit goes to our amazing God. With every account, I feel my soul heal just a little bit more. With every account, I am reassured once again that God is sovereign and can be trusted even in tragic loss. I am thankful you get the point of the book, not to lift up one young person, but to ignite a passion in all of us to love with our life and act on the conviction that Jesus is the answer.

A young life lost makes us wake up a little bit and realize that time is short. We so easily forget that in the chaos of life. We’re so busy going from one thing to another and barely have time to stop and think or stop and rest or just stop. Wow, rest. We strive to rest on vacation or on the weekends maybe. Jesus gives rest every day. We can rest in Him every day, every moment really. How do we rest? Take a moment to sit. Take a moment to turn off the TV. Take a moment (in my case) to stop working and worrying. Take a moment to talk with Him and read His words. My favorite “rest” is taking a walk with worship music in my ears.

Matthew 11:28-30 in the NIV says “Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Now, listen to it in the Message (so refreshing) “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to Me. Get away with Me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with Me and work with Me – watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with Me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

I often don’t rest well. Sometimes I do better than others. I love reading books but I don’t always allow myself the time. There is so much to “get done” that sitting and reading seems a waste, yet I don’t hesitate to watch a TV program or a movie. One of my favorite authors is Donald Miller. I just finished “Through Painted Deserts” about a road trip he takes with a friend, kind of hippie style, pondering the big questions of life. He’s funny and entertaining talking about nothing part of the time! I just love it. He also wrote “Blue Like Jazz” and “Searching for God Knows What” which I have also read and highly recommend.

Even when we don’t understand everything that is happening around us, we can rest in God’s promises. He gives hope to all of us, no matter where we are or what we are facing.

Deanna

1 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Ash said...

i know you all get these comments a lot but i have to say thank you. I'm 18 and am about to go off to school in north carolina (15 1/2 hours away from where i live now) and was totally scared. I practically live at my church and am so attached to everyone there that i got totally selfish and said i wasn't going. Well, God kind of knew i was going to do that i think b/c i signed a scholarship to go play soccer up there so there was no way of getting out. after reading bj's story i started to think about what i promised God a LONG time ago... that my life was His 1000000%. MercyMe's song kind of made me think also... If i would lay my life down for God why cant i go to N.C for God??? I never wanted to admit it but i knew thats where i am supposed to be... my 4 year mission trip. so anyway... long story short... BJ's story saved me from walking away from the one thing in my life i love more than anything... God. So thank you for sharing His story... thank you thank you thank you. Take care, God bless and have an amazing week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home