Thursday, November 24, 2005

As I write this, a meticulous blanket of freshly fallen snow has blanketed His creation in winter white. How beautiful. Perhaps none have celebrated the cold of winter as I have. It has been my favorite time of year. The promise of warm, fragrant fires, the welcoming draw of baked goods, and the anticipation of family gathering to celebrate together.

These things have always warmed me beyond winters chill. Getting out and playing in the snow at any age, keeps you young and vibrant. The times we spent building snow forts, having snowball fights, and making snowmen, especially when the kids were younger, dance back through my memory. Today these memories try to warm what the hearth cannot.

As I survey the beauty of creation out a window which expands to reveal His attention to detail, I am moved that He would care enough to send His one and only Son to endure a cold beyond a deep-winter arctic night. To give up the only son you have is a precious price indeed. To know that many are brought to Him through His death somehow makes tolerable what no parent ever wants to experience.

Being thrust into a fraternity that noone wants to be a member of, is pacified by a peace that only He precipitates. Who can know the pain of this loss, but my Father. His Son died, that my son might live, that my son might die, to bring Him glory.

Father, on this day when we pause to bring you our Thanksgiving, know that though we often visit our grief, we know that You know our loss, and that You have provided for our pain, by the warmth of Your embrace, through the arms of brothers and sisters around the world, and in this place. Glory to You my King. You are God alone.

dad

(no it didn't snow in Slidell, this was written while still in Indiana)

15 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good morning, precious Higgins family, today my prayer for you is that our Father would blanket you all with His wonderful love, just as He has blanketed the ground with snow for you to admire. May we all remember the wonderful things that He has done for us, large and small.I pray that today He would fill your hearts and memories with joy, flood you with His peace.
Happy Thanksgiving, may today be a day of new memories mixed with the old.
God bless you in all that you do as you serve Him, for the glory of His kingdom.

In His Love
Linda
OK

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Erika said...

I was thinking of your family and praying for you as I was doing my devotions this morning. During that time, I was reading John Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life". I bought the book because of BJ's references to it and I'm so glad I did. BJ had such an influence on my and my husband's life. We are looking forward to getting the DVD of his memorial service.
Thank you for resting in God's love and promises. It is so encouraging to me and a reminder of the reality that God is a personal God who can be everything you (and I) need right now and always! I will be praying for your whole family today. Love, Erika

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Kalliopi Psalm said...

Just thinking of you and your family today, same as everyday. Hope today will be filled with more blessings than you could fathom. Much Love..

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you Family
My heart and prayers are with you
and I send huggs asking our Lord to hold you all up and comfort you.
Be safe on your journey. I am hoping this experience touches and moves many and restores Hope for Slidel and the many people you are all in contact with.
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Lisa
Indpls., IN

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On this Thanksgiving morning, we are incredibly thankful for the addition of the Higgins family in our lives... another unique example of how God uses His family to call us to a deeper, fuller relationship with Him. Indeed, our prayer life has increased tremendously along with our love for new family members that we have met here. May all the glory & thanks go to Him.

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will be praying for ya'll as you celebrate Thanksgiving. i know it can't be easy. but i love His promise - that He will never leave or forsake us. i pray that ya'll will feel His presence today.

much love in our Lord,
jill <><
greenwood

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Today I am not only thankful for my own family and the blessings I have received over the past year, but I am thankful for the life of BJ.
God bless you!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger . said...

God bless you with the warmth of His presence today.

Still praying....

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent & Deanna,

As I rush around here at home, making meal preparations to take to the Koval's later today, I can't help but stop and think of you all. We continue to pray for you all as the holidays are upon us and we can only imagine how difficult it must be. It is really a neat thing you are doing, spending Thanksgiving serving others, but knowing your family, I wouldn't expect anything else! Tell Whitney, Lauren, Laura, Johnny, Lowell & Scott "hi" for us and we wish all of you a great Thanksgiving. I am sure it will be one you will never forget. God bless, take care and we will see you soon.

Love, Nancy

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger critnshelby said...

It is no coincidence that as I read your blog, that the song playing in the background is "You are God alone" by Phillips Craig & Dean.
I just came on to let you all know that I was thinking of you, and to wish you a blessed Thanksgiving. My heart and prayers still are with you. I think of you often. May God give you an extra measure of peace this day.
God Bless you from virginia beach.

The Muniz Family
VA

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is exactly how I feel about winter.. but you explained it better than I ever could. Your words are so captivating..
On another note, I've thought quite a bit about you throughout the day, and have been praying very much for you. I cannot wait to hear how God uses you, and others, in Slidell. I wish I could tell how much I love you all..
As I write this I'm listening to a recording of Whitney singing. Her voice is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard, and I mean that seriously. No one else has ever moved me to tears with their voice.. what a voice.

 
At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prayed for you guys today.

Bobby Cox
Tulsa, OK

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Ashley Reagan said...

Happy Thanksgiving family! Thinking about you and praying for you today! :)

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HiFriends!

Wow! This site is very good!

adult amatuer sex videos

almost legal teen sex
amateur sex video posts
animated greetings of sex

asians nude in garters
give thanks
Klein

 

Post a Comment

<< Home