Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Last night, we celebrated (late) my brother's (Brad) birthday. We met at a restaurant as a family. We were missing some members, so Whitney added a couple college friends to keep the energy level up. It worked. But I was exhausted from watching all of the food they consumed... especially Courtney... more bread?

Deanna and I talked about how much we missed BJ at dinner. Of course you have heard us talk about his eating habits, but that is not what we missed. We missed his companionship, his conversation, his humor, and his love for his Uncle Brad.

BJ spent many nights and weekends with his Uncle when he was younger. While we were off at youth mission trips, camps, and other similar events, he was able to be where he enjoyed spending time. He could talk about cars, have his face licked by the dog (mom wouldn't let him do that at home), and have the undivided attention and ear of his most frequently seen, and beloved Uncle. They would talk for hours on end. Beej loved this time. I think it passed too quickly for him.

Anyway, the support and encouragement he received from Brad was something he thrived on. Plus, how many 30 to 40 something year olds were cool enough to play match box cars, and Risk? There was a real connection, and BJ thoroughly enjoyed it.

A few years ago, BJ, Brad and I camped in a tepee at Brad's camp. Just the boys getting together to do boy stuff, like fishing, hiking, tracking, arrowhead hunting and the like (okay, that is not JUST boy stuff). We thoroughly enjoyed the time together, and promised to do it more often. If "more often" were a geographic destination, we might actually have arrived, but since it is a fete of time and planning, it did not occur.

Anyway, BJ looked up to his uncle for each of these things, and what he stood for... Christ!

Having a brother like Brad actively involved in BJ's upbringing is what family is all about. I am very thankful for how close he lives, and how much time he has invested in the lives of each of my children. They are better adults because of the time spent by him, and many other family members loving on them, and encouraging them.

So, since Beej couldn't be with us at dinner, I ordered what he would have wanted- Halibut. Interestingly, it wasn't the most expensive thing this time.

Happy Valentines Day to you all... I pray you have the close, secure, enveloping arms of Christ to surround you, and that you love others in a like manner, on this day.

brent (dad)

7 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dad--

I'm glad your weekend w/Awe Star was good.. I am familiar w/mingo Valley. I'm glad your time there was good as well.

I was watching a show yesterday.. and it said that after someone dies, after a while, the pain subsides.. and joy fills its place. I've been praying that for you.. i know it wont be tomorrow.. or next week.. But that the joy of our Glorious Lord would fill your hearts and minds.

love you guys!
keep praying for the trotters..
www.teamexpansion.org/caring4mark
~kristin

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day! I, too, have extended family to spend time with my children on a constant basis. Those times are so special and important for our children because it is a reminder that there is love, real and unconditional, in the roots of our family. I know we rely on those strong branches of the family tree to catch us when we fall from our own. Others to laugh with, cry with and pray with and for. You've extended your family way beyond the roots of your family, but to the family of the blog and the family of Christ. Continuing prayer for peaceful and happy days for all of you that the family continues to grow in strength and in the love of Christ.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello precious Higgins'!
Jolene and I continue to pray for all of you. Oh, that God would give you a clear, direct vision of the next step. That you guys will continue forward on exactly the right path. That God's blessings will increase, and your influence as well. I believe these are the prayers of all of your fellow bloggers, AND prayers that God loves to answer!

We love you and miss you!

Dan
Deer Park, TX

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy V-Day, cya in North Africa.
-DJ

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Ashley Reagan said...

Happy V-Day! Or as I like to call it, Singles Awareness Day... lol! Love you guys! Oh, by the way, did you ever get my card in the mail?

Ashley Dawn

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day!

 
At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey brent
I just wanted to say your great and that b.j. and the girls are lucky to have an earthly father like you I thank you for your love and your passion for God I check this site all the time but i never know what to say. this verse has been on my mind this week and it reminded of B.J. Psalm 144 i like the whole thing but what really hit me was the first few verses if your looking at them now. how God prepares us and gives us what we need to fight the battle for him. I've been praying that God would show me how to be a strongle soldier for him and it made me think of your son and how he was willing to do anything for God and he didn't let anything hold him back. so i guess what i want to say is that is thank you for your prayers in the past and for being a great example of what a true christian should
i'm still praying
Chrissy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home