Friday, May 26, 2006

Sometimes I am so distracted by my own issues that I miss the obvious. Yesterday morning, a three car accident happened 25 yards or less from my bathroom, and I was oblivious. When I left for work, I saw 3 emergency vehicles, whose sirens I did not hear, and saw 3 demolished automobiles. Ambulances had already come and gone. I heard nothing.

My home is far from sound proof. I hear traffic all the time. The only thing between the busy road and my patio is a privacy fence. I routinely feel the sub-wolfers from "pimped out" rides as they go by. I know when traffic is heavy, and when it eases, by the noise outside of my walls, but I heard nothing.

In my defense, I was probably in the shower for part of this. My wife considers me a detail person. I notice lots of things. Lots of useless things. My mom tells a story from my younger days, when a lady came to our home. Upon her entrance, I announced, "You had those shoes on last time you came over." Important stuff, right?

I would like to claim that I was so focused on my Bible study and prayer time (which were also happening during the approximate time of the accident) that I just didn't notice. The truth is, I cannot figure out how I missed it.

This was preying upon my thoughts on the way to work, when my own near miss occurred. I was driving in the left lane of a busy four lane road. There were cars coming toward me, and there was one heading my same direction, who was a bit behind me, in the right lane. Without warning, a white van pulled out from my right, from a neighborhood. They had no right of way, no space, and no time for their maneuver.

Tires squealing, blood pressure spiking, and nature trying to make a 911 call, I swerved into on-coming traffic as this van pulled directly into my lane, and headed right for me. I do not know how metal to metal contact was avoided. Only the Lord's intervention prevailed. We were moving much to fast, and the situation was far too dangerous for defensive driving to get credit.

I am thankful that God is on the throne. I know I have been spared from a horrific end. In the eight months since BJ passed, there have been times where in all honesty, I would have welcomed a different outcome. Not today. There is too much to do, and too little time to accomplish it.

I know I need to get my head in the game, and be sensitive to His leading no matter the circumstances. Recognizing the cracks or opportunities as they are revealed is what it's about.

You still have my attention, Lord! I am listening, and I am thankful!

brent

Happy 19th Birthday Whitney! I love you, honey, and I'll see you in Dallas this afternoon!!!

My brother Brad is having surgery on his spine today. They are entering through his neck (throat) to try to correct issues from a car accident this winter, where he was hit by a young man who ran a stop sign. Please lift him up.

7 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want my head in the game too! What a great reminder & prompting from our King!!

Lifting up your brother & your time in Dallas.

What an encouragement today, what an encouragement. Thank you, Lord.

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pink

Just in case you miss it.

Amen.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,

Near misses can be so frightening and the thoughts of "what if" can be debilitating. Today in our small town, a wife, Ann, and her daughter, Katie, are burying their husband/father, son/brother from an auto accident a couple of weeks ago. It is a very sad day for our community yet again. A friend of the son's who also died in the crash was buried last week. Ann is recovering from her injuries. I woke up thinking about the mental anguish she must have felt after her injuries were healed enough to allow her to fully understand what had happened and the devasting consequences of losing her husband and son. So, everyone out there, please keep Ann and Katie, and all of their family and friends in your prayers.

Brad,
Saying special prayers for you this day that all goes well, that the surgeon/s are able to correct what needed correcting and that God will provide you with the patience and strength you will need during your recovery.

Whitney,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Blessings on you all.
Tina

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO many need our prayers. God, thank you for being near!

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad--

its official! mary and me are coming!!! august 4th or 5th..to the 7th!! we'll be in Tulsa enjoying special time w/you guys!!

love you!

happy birthday sister!!!

~Kristin

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still out here and still praying for you in Arlington, TX. My Mom's chemotherapy regimen has damaged her heart 12% and they have suspended all chemo now in hopes that she will recover. She is having a hard time with this...from a physical perspective. Lots of shortness of breath, and fear of a heart attack. Appreciate any and all prayers for her restored health. Her name is Esther. Hugs, Carol

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if the "comments" were more eye opening today than the blog itself. It is so important to be thankful and joyful for the little things that the Father blesses us with each and every day. I'm praying for the families who have lost a precious life here on earth, and I rejoice for the souls that are being welcomed into His Kingdom this day, and every day. Lord, help us to recognize the little blessings you give us each and every day. Help us to focus on your calling for each of us. Lord, I ask a special blessing for Brad today, that his surgery is sucessful and recovery is eminent and speedy. Lord, I also pray that Whitney has a joyful day today, her birthday!!

Thank you, Lord, for the "near misses" that point our gratefulness to you and help us to refocus on the important things in our lives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home