Tuesday, November 14, 2006

When you whisper, typically, you position your head perpendicular to the head of your listener. While this is less important than the words that you say, or the secret you hold, the message can be lost if you don't get the mechanics right.

When BJ was learning to do this, he understood everything except where to point your head. He would utter a soft string of words in the lowest of volumes, but they could not be discerned because his aim was askew. Perhaps I have shared this before, I really don't recall, but when he had something exciting or private he wanted to share, the whisper etiquette would kick in to motion.

He'd come up to you, look up into your face and motion you down with his index finger. Once you stooped to his height, or scouped him into your arms, he'd begin to share. The problem was he thought his ear needed to touch your ear to convey the precious truth. He would contort his little head so that his face was pointing the same direction yours was, touch his ear to yours and begin to speak. It was so comical that it was difficult not to laugh as you tried to correct his aim.

When a whisper has truth in it, it can be heard above the din of life if the listener has his attention focused properly.

The words spoken in a whisper are full of anticipation and expectation. Otherwise, one would not be compelled to share them. If you are with a group of friends and you see two people lean in and share softly... immediately, you wonder what they are sharing. The approval addicts in the room will all think they are being talked about. Others will make a play toward the whisperer to try and be drawn into their confidence in hopes that the secret will be shared with them.

When my children were younger, well actually, I don't think it has changed, but when Deanna and I had something we did not want the kids to hear, we would lower our voices to a whisper. Do you know that inevitably, the whisper would be heard by the children when two minutes ago they could not hear my voice as I hollered instructions to them?

What is said in a whisper will be heard more clearly than what is shouted from the rooftops.

Someone I care a great deal about recently heard the final whispers of a friend they had been ministering to. You see, that friend decided to take their own life. They had been struggling with what was truth. Their understanding of truth was tainted by a "believer" who chose to molest them.

This and other difficulties in life caused them to turn away from what they had been taught was truth. Why? Because the whispered, intimate actions spoke louder than the words void of truth from one who claimed to be a Christian.

This fleeting life whispered to my friend as they drew their final breaths. As he was being held, he declared that my friend had been right. The Truth my friend had been sharing was indeed Truth. In life this young man heard the whisper of liars. In his final moments, he saw Truth. Truth revealed by one who is faithful.

I do not intend to shine a positive light on the poor decision of one who was lost. Just to refocus our attention to those "lost" in the world around us.

His voice is still and small.

Do we have a voice? What is it saying? To whom is it directed? Are we touching ears, or changing lives?

dad

2 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very powerful message this morning Brent.
You said "His voice is still and small. Do we have a voice?"
My question would be do we have the ears to hear the still small voice?

Having said that I'm going to ask for prayer from you all for myself. I am in the deepest driest valley I have ever been in. I have no idea what the lesson is here and I have gotten to the point where I don't have the energy to try and find the answer. (I know this response is a trick from the devil.) All I know is that this started after Kevin and I were ordained. I'm finding it difficult to try and put it into words, so I'll just leave it up to the Holy Spirit to show you what is needed.
Thank you

In His Love
Linda

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An awesome message this morning Brent! We don't take the time or energy to really stop and listen to God's voice...tv's, radios, kids, self choices, block His voice and we walk in our own understanding....basically Satan. Two of my children know the lies of a molester...the lies of Satan. Satan is screaming....God is whispering...Who will we take the time to listen to?

Praise God that the Truth was revealed and listened to before it was too late. God bless that family.

Linda R.....I know you don't want to hear from me, or about this, but don't you find it amazing that after you got ordained all of this happened? I pray still for you and that you will remember all that God was telling you through me. Could it be that doing this made you leave the will of God, and that is what He is trying to tell you?? God bless you!

Praying in Pink~

Linda Anderson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home