Thursday, January 18, 2007

I remember when I was much younger and I enjoyed listening to the radio at above average volumes. In my lifetime, "above average" has always been a good thing, and so it is with this lens that I choose to focus.

I can remember getting into trouble when my dad would start the car, and within a couple of seconds the enormity of sound would stress the factory speakers, and press into that enclosed space causing the windows to rumble. Distortion is a word that explains those moments. Both the sound and the physical reaction from my father.

He was a gentle loving man, but when introduced to unexpected attacks of sound waves, he got a little "distorted." I don't think I made that mistake more than once or twice. It's just that, there were times when the radio in my dad's stationary car was my only escape.

I think forgetting the minor detail of turning the volume back down and receiving the unexpected, has helped shape my attention to detail.

When my own children were younger, I remember having to go to them and "request" they
turn down their stereo. Of course, my request went unnoticed the first time as their is something about loud noises that dulls all of your other senses. I guess at that point I found it necessary to make a point. So in fun (for me, not them) I would lift my voice above their stereo's.

It is pretty amazing how hard it is to find the volume control on your own stereo when you are under the impression your world is coming to an abrupt end.

Honestly, that did not happen all that often, but I do remember having to intervene on a few occasions.

After BJ passed, I would go into his room (when no one was home) and turn on his stereo. He had speakers that were hard to stress. The level of sound became a visceral experience. Kind of like sitting at a stoplight in certain areas of town, when the pimp-mobile pulls up next to you, and the bass sub causes your insides to do involuntary gymnastics.

That is pretty loud. For brief moments, I felt a connection I cannot explain. My connection would enter into a worship experience. I was lifting praises to my Lord at volumes that would have embarrassed my children. Yet somehow, just letting go, and giving my unabashed all to the Lord was such a sweet experience.

Loud music is something Deanna and I have never really shared an affinity for. This could explain why I say "what?" a lot at this point in my life. I liked being at concerts and standing by the speakers. I couldn't hear for many hours afterwards...now I can't hear her when she's in the next room.

Imagine then, my surprise this morning as I gathered to spend some time with the Lord, turned on the worship cd (in that same stereo of BJ's) and leaned over to check the volume and it digitally shouted a number near 20! In case your not sure, that is very, very loud.

Guess what? It wasn't me. Oh yes, I had listened to music two nights ago, but set the volume around 5...a level where you can talk and listen at the same time.

I think somebody else in my family...lets see, I've been at work, and my daughters are in Indiana...must have been cranking up the volume, and letting the worship fly!

The secret is out. Someone pretends she doesn't like it loud, but I think a new phase of praise has escaped her lips...and if I'd been home, I think I might have needed to ask that it be turned down.

Let your praise and worship bring glory to the King of Kings!

dad

6 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Let your praise and worship bring glory to the King of Kings!" Let the sound ROCK the house!! Amen \o/

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Brent your post this morning hit the very heart of where I like to worship, full volume. I too like my music at a higher level than most, and when it comes to worship, which is the only music I listen to I want to make sure my voice is drowned out by the music. The Lord has given me many gifts and talents, but an in tune voice unfortunately is not one of them. This however never stops me. Oh how He loves us to come to Him in worship. Just loved, loved your post today.

Deanna I'm so glad you have had time at home with your husband and time to spend refreshing in the Lord, what a blessing.

In His Love
Linda

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lately music has been a big thing for me, so it was nice to see this post. I lift you guys up in my prayers regularly and cannot wait to see you! Keep singing.

Laura Allyn

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you used the term pimp-mobile! It made me laugh when I read that.

2 Chronicles 5:12-14
All the Levites who were musicians—Asaph, Heman, Jeduthun and their sons and relatives—stood on the east side of the altar, dressed in fine linen and playing cymbals, harps and lyres. They were accompanied by 120 priests sounding trumpets. The trumpeters and singers joined in unison, as with one voice, to give praise and thanks to the LORD. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, they raised their voices in praise to the LORD and sang: "He is good; his love endures forever."
Then the temple of the LORD was filled with a cloud, and the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the LORD filled the temple of God.

Raised voices and loud praise...love it! And I love you guys!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny!!!!

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny!! Caught!!! Ha ha!

I love to have the music blasting. I make it pretty loud in the kitchen when I am cooking, and usually hubby comes home and begs me to turn it down (this coming from the person who pulled into the driveway and I could hear his car stereo over mine in the kitchen!). I blast it in the car when alone, praising God and worshipping Him. I love it loud. I love concerts, they are loud!! The loudness just takes over everything else, and allows me to focus on one thing only! God!

Thanks for this Brent, and for the great laugh of catching your wife. Even after all these years, still learning something new!

Agape~
Linda Anderson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home