Thursday, January 04, 2007

Today in our office, we are hosting WMU. This is a women's mission organization. This particular one meets once a month and its membership is made up of precious senior ladies. Most of them with white hair, many of them widows. They are such sweet saints of the Lord.

Several months ago, I had the privilege of speaking to them. How gracious was their reception of the words I shared...mostly about our journey. Then we shared a meal together.

I left with much more respect than I entered with. These women love Jesus, and are committed to serving Him.

I am 47. My body has not been cooperating for several years now. I don't appreciate this very much. At my "young" age I do not expect to have such issues. In my mind, I am very young. That my body betrays me is something I still am not ready to accept.

Many of these ladies are literally twice my age. How much they understand these words. Oh the battles they have fought in life. The prayer that assaults the throne of grace from these dear women is powerful.

Yet, as a society, we tend to cast them aside as no longer useful. We funnel them to "homes" and discourage them from having viable roles in our communities. How thankful I am that they disregard our compulsion to seal them off to cards and scribbage.

Deanna and I were traveling to the midwest for the holidays, and we heard a Christmas message reference that we did not remember. We had to turn the radio down, pull out the Bible and check out the passage. It read:

"There was also a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, and then was a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying. Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem." Luke 2:36-38

Unbelievable! When did that text get added to my Bible? I have read it through so many times and don't remember that passage! Incredible!

If she married, as many did in that day, near the age of 15, then she lived and worshiped in the temple for over 60 years!

We get bored after a twenty minute sermon, and start checking our watches. 60 years!!!

I know the Lord is opening my eyes. I want to have that kind of passion for Jesus! What a powerful warrior for the Lord this lady was!

She was so close to God because of her life-long commitment that she knew Him when He entered the temple...as a baby!

Isn't it ironic how often we long to be closer to our Savior, and yet do nothing about it? Those who are closest to Him are the ones who fast, know His voice, see His direction, and pray with power as the Holy Spirit fills their utterances in Unity with the mind of Christ! How powerful is the depiction of this passage!

How incredulous that I have not seen it before! How distant is my life from that of my Lord?

Father, forgive me! Draw me close! Let me seek you with ALL of my life! Let me respect those who are my senior that love you like this. Let me encourage others to seek You in the same way. Teach me to fast and pray with my whole body, Lord. All I have is truly Yours alone! Amen.

brent

4 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey brent this is Shara...i dont kow if you remember me or not...but oh welll...lol! This last weekend i attened a OneThing confrence in Kansas City. This is branch of IHOP(the international house of pray). They have a room in which prople have been praying for 7 years! They believe that God has called many to life that Anna had...of none stop prayer! It is crazy that u talked about that...i like fliped...we all need to learn to pray like anna.

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true Brent...none of us are as close to the Lord as we would like, except those who are HOME. I know what you mean about the body thing too. I know I have some weight to lose, and have been carrying it for quite a while, but yesterday I got the results of a blood test taken for life insurance, and my cholesterol is high, and so is my triglycerides. Ugh, and I am only 36!! Well, the Lord has truly hit me over the head with this, and exercising will now be a part of my daily routine, as well as getting away from the junk food! We have gone organic around here, but still having a hard time with cookies and chocolate. They need to get out of my life!!!

God bless you today, and always!
Agape~
Linda Anderson

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my question exactly.. when was this amazing lady anna added to the bible! those exact thoughts raced through my mind when these verses were shown to me a few days ago. I long to love my savior as she loved him. I long for a body of christ to long for our savior as dear Anna did.... It is time for the old to pass and the even older to come back into play!

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dad--

thank you for always being obedient. thank you for always pointing me to Jesus. thank you for following Christ's call on your life, and your family, w/reckless abandon. thank you for being someone who teaches me more about Jesus. thank you.

i love you.
cant wait to see you this weekend..

praying always..
~kristin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home