Friday, May 11, 2007

There are many things that I would not be, apart from the love of my Mother. While I am a flawed person, the smooth edges that do exist are in large part, her successes.

I can remember different occasions growing up when my Mom would catch me doing something positive, and she would quickly reinforce it. She would tell me why what I was doing was a good thing, and stir within me the desire to repeat that behavior.

Certainly she caught me doing things I shouldn't have, as all Mother's do, but she did not always dwell on the negatives of my youth, and that helped me desire to do things that were pleasing to her, to the Lord.

I can remember encounters of such disrespect with her. Times I was way out of line and could have been punished severely, had she done so in anger. She did not. I certainly had my share of spankings, but believe me, I was deserving.

She cared for me deeply and wanted to see me follow the Lord in obedience. Many of our conversations were fashioned around that precept. She taught me much about how and when to pray for my enemies, for my friends, and for my family.

She tried hard to teach me to be responsible with money. I wasn't very good at it, and I will never forget how that played out one Mother's Day weekend.

We had within walking distance of our home a small family owned garden center. My Mom loves flowers planted in her yard. They bring her pleasure all summer long. It was the Saturday before Mother's Day and I had some change in my pocket. I liked to have change in my pocket, but if I did, I liked to spend it.

It was hard for Mom to train me to be responsible, because spending money was fun. On this day, I was conflicted. She had been trying hard to get me to be wise in spending, but I wanted to get her something for Mother's Day.

Would I get in trouble for spending the money I had, if I spent it on her? I hoped not, but I feared so. I had made too many bad money decisions already. I decided to risk it.

I bought my Mom a tray of petunias.

The entire four or five block walk home, I played out scenarios in my mind of whether or not I was going to be in trouble for spending my money. I did not know what to expect. Again, because of my own poor decisions (as a young boy) not because she was unreasonable.

When I got home, I knocked on the front door as if I were a visitor. Mom answered.

I stumbled with my words, because of how nervous I was, but presented my little tray of petunias to her telling her I wanted to do something special for her, while mixing in that I did not want to get into trouble for it. It must have been comical to hear.

Her eyes lit up with excitement. I knew in those couple of moments I had done a good thing.

I did not get into trouble. It was like I had just handed her the keys to a new car. She was thrilled.

I don't think I have ever given her a gift that has evoked such a response, since that time.

It is the little unexpected things that we do in honoring our Mom's that seem to really have impact. I can not imagine my life without her! I will once again be spending Mother's Day apart from her, but my deep abiding love for her will hopefully cross the miles that separate us, and help her to understand a fraction of how much I care for her!

I love you Mom!!!

brent

6 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
My name is Tiffany.
i just wanted to share a miracle that was in my life.
This past Wednesday, me and my mom and my grandparents were in a wreck. How we survived was only by the Grace Of God. Without Him, we would not be here.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Pray for BJ said...

Tiffany,

I Praise God that you and your family are safe, and that the Lord spared you. He has great plans for you! Thank you for sharing with us!

brent

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rejoicing and praising God with you Tiffany! Happy Mother's Day Deanna, and Grandma Higgins! \o/

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MOMs Rock...

I saw that comment and also just wanted to share. God recently brought a brand new job into my life... one I never even applied for, yet somehow they received my resume.

Thanks and praise God for what you're doing.

 
At 5:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

pandora charms, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, toms shoes, doudoune canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, ray ban, gucci, canada goose, supra shoes, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, hollister, barbour jackets, bottes ugg, moncler, replica watches, barbour, thomas sabo, canada goose, converse, converse outlet, moncler, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, swarovski, montre pas cher, pandora charms, marc jacobs, links of london, juicy couture outlet, moncler, swarovski crystal, karen millen, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, lancel, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, moncler, ugg boots uk, sac louis vuitton pas cher, coach outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home