Friday, June 29, 2007

I'm getting to the stage in my life where it feels like everyone around me is getting married. All of the sudden all these people that i've played with and grown up with are taking their turns saying vows. As a girl, I know I am supposed to have my wedding all planned out- colors, songs, bridesmaids... but in all the thinking i have done about my wedding day growing up, and still today, I have never cared much about all that. I have given it some thought I guess, but never came to any conclusion or tried very hard. My focus has always been on the man that I will walk down the aisle towards. What he would be like and look like and how he would treat me.

Spending time with soon-to-be brides I am annoyed for them at all of the rules and expectations placed on them. There are so many people to please and so many traditions that just cannot be broken. It's crazy to me. Who cares? Why does it matter if the invitations are hand addressed in cursive or print? Why does it matter if there is a card table set up or if the aisle chairs are decorated? Isn't that day supposed to be about celebrating love between two people? It's the beginning of a new life for them, why can't it be as simple as that?

Don't get me wrong, I love weddings. I get so excited going to them and I sit through the whole ceremony with a huge smile on my face. I like to see how each couple puts their own unique twist on this traditional time. I just don't understand why everyone has to stress out about every little thing. I don't understand why there have to be so many silly rules to follow to keep from hurting the feelings of your guests.

I think that's so how our faith is too. It's truly a simple thing. I understand that I need a Saviour and that Jesus is the only thing that can fulfill that for me. I love Him and want to live my life the way He would have me do it. That's it. Period. We make it so complicated though. As a church, we fight about so many little issues. I know they don't feel little but in the big scheme of things.. it doesn't matter. We make Christianity and church about ourselves and our own happiness. We completely lose focus of why we gather together on Sunday mornings and why we serve our communities. It's about Him. It's about a love relationship with Him. Tradition can be a beautiful thing but when that becomes the focus, it is useless. I understand the necessity of rules but when they become what makes you a "good" person, we've missed it.

It's simple. As much as people like to make it about the fancy decorations and both silly and serious traditions, they are not why we are here and our lives can't be about making sure those things get done just the way we want. Rather, it's all about the love relationship we each get to enjoy with God and the way that relationship molds and changes who we are. I pray that we are able to let go of all the expectations we believe need to be met in church and our daily lives and let the simplicity of our faith take over. Let our eyes turn to our Saviour and become captivated to the point that we cannot look away. And simply abide in Him.

Whit

7 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome insights, Whitney!!!

Dan and I have talked about the way our culture just slips us into so many of these expectations, and we often don't even stop to ask God exactly what HE would have us do....

It really should be simple, but somehow it gets so complicated!

Right now we're trying to sort through the choices in our life and to become "unbound" to THINGS, and to become totally "bound" to our Lord.

It's not easy (or popular, or whatever), but we'll pray with you and you pray with us for God's desire for each of us to be realized in our lives!

Love, Aunt Jolene

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are like a breath of spring! It is nice to know there is still someone out there who sees that it is the relationship with each other and with our Savior that really matters and not all the othere silly stuff? How did it get so crazy any way? Are we always trying to compete with each other? What a sad world it has become when people act that way. If they only realized that those things don't make the marriage. A wedding is beautiful when it is simple and people see the love that overflows from the couple by their vows and their smiles. Thank you again!!

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great insight Whitney! Don't change, keep your perspective broad and your eyes focused on Jesus!
Mark \o/

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post today! I have been battling why people are so focused on details of life that don't promote "life" AT ALL. We want to decorate our lives in ways that make us more worldly, all the while taking us further and further from simply living in Him. It's not "normal" to focus so much energy on Him, so my sister tells me. My mom says, "You need to be "normal" AND have Christ in your life! What does that mean?? I'm glad I can focus on what He wishes for me and not be distracted because I need to be "normal". I don't want to be normal, I want to be a Christian, even if it isn't "normal" in this world today!!!!!

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20150901
michael kors outlet
cheap nfl jerseys
imitation watches
caoch outlet
jordan 3 retro
burberry sale
nike air force 1
jordan 6s
nike roshe run
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors handbags
nike store
prada outlet
louis vuitton
sac longchamp
michael kors outlet
nike sb janoski
michael kors outlet
nike roshe run mens
ray ban sunglasses uk
burberry outlet
louboutin,christian louboutin,red bottoms,louboutins,red shoes,red heels,christian louboutin sale,christian louboutin shoes
jordan 11
oakley sunglasses outlet
louis vuitton handbags
tod's outlet
michael kors handbags
jordan retro 11
cheap ray bans
ed hardy clothing
fitflops sale
louis vuitton outlet
retro jordans
oakley store
uggs for men
adidas originals
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton handbags
ray ban glasses
hermes bags

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, nike free, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, burberry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louboutin pas cher, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, nike free, jordan shoes

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, abercrombie and fitch, lacoste pas cher, nike air max, coach outlet, true religion jeans, ugg boots, ray ban uk, sac guess, vanessa bruno, tn pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, ugg boots, kate spade handbags, nike roshe, hollister, hermes, new balance pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, burberry outlet online, michael kors, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike blazer, nike free run uk, nike air max, vans pas cher, burberry, michael kors, north face, north face, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, air force, coach outlet, true religion jeans, timberland, mulberry, michael kors outlet, hogan, hollister pas cher, oakley pas cher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home