Tuesday, August 07, 2007

One day in Trujillo, we arrived at a small marketplace, and prepared to do ministry. As my team got ready, a curious lady came over to me and began to engage in conversation. She wanted to know why we were there. I explained the drama to her, and she began to ask more questions.

I asked one of our translators to come over as I had come to the end of my ability in our brief exchange. Julie, a seminary student, came to my rescue.

The questions the lady asked were deep and pointed. She shared that she was a religion teacher. She relayed that she taught her students to have an open mind with religion. She wanted to know why we taught that Jesus was the only way.

I shared Acts 4:12 with her which says, "Salvation is found in no one else, there is no other name under heaven given to men, by which we must be saved."

She responded with a query about the central truth of the Bible. I showed her John 3:16. This Q&A session would continue for the next 30 to 40 minutes. I was so moved that the Holy Spirit gave me a Scriptural answer for each and every question.

She asked, "How can I know for sure, and how can I show my students so they know?" I walked her through the Roman Road. I told her what each Scripture was and what it implied about the Truth of why Christ came.

At several junctures, I would pause and ask if this was a decision she would like to make. Each time, the troubled far away look in her eyes would deepen. At one point she said, "I have many problems in my life."

Though I seldom shared his story in one on one conversations, I was prompted to tell her briefly about BJ. How he had come to her country to share the Truth, and what had happened after his return.

Tears filled her eyes as she opened up and told me that she had psychological issues as a result of her own son dying in bed with her (I got the impression she may have accidentally smothered him).

I shared with her that Jesus sent the Comforter to minister to us in times like this. I told her how the Holy Spirit had worked in our lives and helped to minister healing through the greatest tragedy we had ever faced. I told her He was there to do the same in her life...to bring her peace and direction if she would invite Him into her life.

She said she was afraid she would lose her job if she accepted Christ. I shared with her the truth about all religions being mans attempt to reach God, but that through sending His one and only Son, His attempt to reach us, was revealed. That if she knew this Truth and accepted Christ, her knowledge of other religions would become very useful, as she could use this Truth as her guide in teaching.

She asked many more questions and we continued on. At different points we were surrounded by many curious onlookers who tried to assert their own questions. This time, however was for her alone. Even Julie, the translator, recognized this as she would redirect others as we forged ahead.

It is hard to explain the unity I felt with this woman in these moments. I understood her questions, I sensed her deep pain, and I knew the Lord was drawing her close.

We wept together as she came to know Jesus as her Lord and Savior.

I encouraged her as she told me that it was an accident that she was even here today. She said she never comes to this area, but felt drawn here. She was visiting family and actually lived far from this place. I told her there were no coincidences in Christ Jesus. That things happened for a reason, and today was her day to come face to face with the Living God.

She smiled broadly and indicated her desire to be involved in a church that taught the truths we had discussed. Tito, our contact (and pastor) was nearby. He came and found out where she lived, and gave her the name and number of a pastor in her area. We also gathered her info for this other pastor.

As I look back on this experience, I am extremely humbled at the provision of my God to have answers for each question she asked. There were times when the initial shock of the depth of her query was unnerving, but the Holy Spirit always brought Scripture and Truth to mind so it could be conveyed to her.

This is truly how loving our God is. When we avail ourselves to His purposes, He blesses us by allowing us to be part of bringing the solution to a lost world.

Praise His Holy Name!

dad

3 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you....I often wonder how I'd respond to such a line of questioning....one must turn it over to the Holy Spirit.

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." Lk 15:10
Rejoicing too! Praise Him for the leading and provision of answers. Welcome back Brent.
Mark \o/

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

Thank you for sharing your stories with us. It is so meaningful (especially being on one side of the prayers as you ministered in Peru) to read of God's work there. I get chills when I read about the way He brought every verse to mind that you needed--just as He promised to do.

I think back to the days when you were praying through the decision about going to serve at Awe Star. The Piepers are so thankful He called you . . . for such a time as JUST THE RIGHT TIME!

praying in pink
with tender love,

Marti

 

Post a Comment

<< Home