Tuesday, November 20, 2007




Thanksgiving two years ago when our family assisted in the relief work after Hurricane Katrina. In the pictures you may find Deanna, Whitney, Brad (my brother), Derek (nephew) and Dan (Deanna's brother). Yes some guy in green, too.
This Thanksgiving, we will be spending time with Deanna's family residing in Kentucky. We are looking forward to the time together!
This year, the celebrations will be different than past ones. There are new things in our lives to come together for. Things we will share for the first time as a family. Deanna's brother Stephen and his wife Kandi, had a son about three weeks ago! We cannot wait to hold him, cuddle him, and probably fight over him. His mommy may have a different plan, I'm not really sure.
New births are such a celebration! Babies and young children have a way of bringing joy in special ways to the time we spend together. There is no doubt that we will all be thankful for God's provision!
There are other reasons to celebrate as well. Across the miles, time and responsibility seem to steal from us that which we often desire most...spending time with each other. No particular agenda, just being together with nothing to rush off and do. It always helps when that time is accompanied by food.
Food has a way facilitating pleasure on so many levels. We always look forward to the wafting aroma of baked goods, which fill the house with the joy and anticipation. This is something you remember for a lifetime. Isn't it amazing how one smell can take you back years, or thrust you into the future when you will gather again? I just love that!
Music is something we celebrate in our family. My girls are all singers and players (of instruments). When we come together, they share their giftedness and it blesses me deeply. Nothing soothes my soul like listening to them pour themselves into the passionate expression God has given them (well, except for a good back rub). I can't wait!!! (for the singing)
We have one new thing to celebrate this year. Something that has never happened in my family before!
I got a phone call late last week. It was unexpected. Sometime later, perhaps I will be given permission to share the story in full.
In short, it was a young man I'm not sure I've ever talked to on the phone. A young man, in all honesty, I was not expecting to speak to that day.
He asked me a question I was not prepared to hear.
The answer to his question will change our lives. We are still dealing with the idea of how this will impact each of us. However, that doesn't really matter. What matters is the joy this call has brought to Whitney.
This young man asked for permission to marry her!!!
She now walks a bit off kilter. She's having a bit of trouble adjusting to the weight shift. Her hand is half a carat heavier.
Praise God!!!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!
dad

4 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Whitney!! I pray you will have a wonderful life together with your man. I know the Lord will bless your lives.
Mark \O/

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,
Have a great Thanksgiving with the family, and know that I love you guys and will see you next week.

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As We begin to celebrate our Holiday... I have a heart breaking prayer request for BJ's Blog family...
Last year at this time Michael had a friend that died on the basketball court from an undetected heart condition... Almost one year later his mother has passed away with the same heart condition... leaving behind dad and an 8th grade daughter who has a pace maker and has been moved to the top of the heart transplant list... Please pray for this heart broken family and friends... Thank You The Leaf family- so many prayers and hugs from KC-the Leafs

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Leaf family, I'm all too familiar with heart conditions, having CHF myself and an ICD. I'll certainly be remembering this family in prayer.
Mark \O/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home