Tuesday, October 28, 2008


Mr. and Mrs. Law enter the reception


Technology can be friendly or it can be... mean! For whatever reason, my laptop has decided not to work at home (internet wise). Forcing me to alter my schedule from it's norm. I am such a fan of changing schedules. It brings me such joy.

It can be quite interesting living in different states. Getting used to their rules and ways of doing things also brings about much sought after change.

I confess, I have been delinquent. My family has been making fun of me. I have finally overcome.

I was the first of my family to move here to Tulsa, 2 1/2 years ago. I am the last to get my Oklahoma license.

Deanna moved here and had hers in less than a month. Lauren it took a few months longer. I got mine yesterday.

Let me tell you of the joys of the Department of Motor Vehicles in this state.

Most know I grew up in Indiana, where you go to any branch of the DMV (or BMV) to have your licensing taken care of. Not here.

A few months ago, I went to a local branch to get my Indiana license changed to Oklahoma. I was told, "you can only do that at one of two branches, one is in Jenks and the other north Tulsa."

Neither was close, both were a 30 minute drive or more. I admit, I quit at that point. I was annoyed.

Last week, a friend of mine from the office also needed to renew his license, so we decided to go together. We drove to Jenks. We stood in line for 20 minutes. When we got to the front of the line, we were told, "you are in the wrong place, to get what you need, you must begin at..." and they redirected us to another location in the same city.

This was fun.

We headed to the other location to find it slammed with people. No matter, we acted like we knew what we were doing and headed right to the desks where people were getting help. Only a couple people in front of us! Shouldn't be too long.

While waiting, and armed security lady (retirement aged) approached. I confess, I did not fear her. She looked like a kind grandmother with a sidearm she probably didn't know how to use...oh wait, this is Oklahoma. She knew.

She asked if we had just arrived. Looking at my watch, it was 2ish, and I replied, "yes."

"I am sorry, she said, we are not accepting any more people today. If you want to wait and see if we get to you, it's fine, but there are not guarantees."

They didn't close for 3 or 4 hours. I did not want to wait. I would rather have a root canal.

We headed back to the office, defeated.

Yesterday, my friend had heard of a new location in Broken Arrow that could help us. He called ahead. They said they could take care of us.

We headed off for 20 minute drive to Broken Arrow. We arrived, it was not crowded. We took a number and sat down. We had overcome. We had found a place few knew about!

He was helped first and all went fine except they informed him he had to go to a second location to complete the process. What? They had just taken his picture and fingerprints, made him promise his first born grandchild, and now he had to go elsewhere to complete the process? Why did I move?

It was my turn! I foolishly went to the desk expecting a different outcome. I handed the nice lady my social security card (issued without lamination in 1975), my Indiana license, and two bill stubs with my new address on it.

She looked over my paperwork and said, "Do you have your birth certificate, or your passport?"

Had I just left the United States? Why did I need those items. I wasn't in Mexico, Canada or any nation, other than my own!

"No," I replied like a drone, "but I have them at home."

We went to the second location and got my friends brand new license where they once again, took his picture and fingerprints. I am not sure we weren't in the wrong line, maybe we looked like bad guys and they thought were headed to jail.

We left with him smiling, and headed to my house to get my paperwork so I could leave the country, I mean get my license.

Before I left the BMV, the nice lady had actually written on my ticket, "FREE PASS, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT IN LINE AGAIN."

I think that was supposed to make me feel better. Instead, it made me feel like the wheelbarrow in monopoly.

We returned to the first location with my appropriate paperwork. I moved to the head of the class and got processed! I was ready for jail, I mean for the second location.

We went to the second location and I got re-fingerprinted and a second picture taken in front of the pretty blue screen. I might send it on a Christmas Card.

Oh wait, when the other nice lady handed it to me, she said, "there is a line through your eyes." That will never do on a Christmas Card.

We will see if it will do on my license. If I ever get pulled over, I fully expect them to think I made this myself. Who has a line through their eyes on government documents?

We headed back across the border...from Broken Arrow to Tulsa, and went to lunch, laughing and licking our wounds. You know where we ate? "South of the Border!"
It had take all morning! This was my third attempt to get my license and this time I won!

Persistence is a virtue. So is patience. I don't think I was born with either, but with the Lord's help have learned to develop them both.

I didn't say I was good at either, but I am learning. Our lives tend to be consumed with events and trials that require the use of both of these. He provides us with the tools we need along the way, if we plug into His resources.

I am finally legal. I am no longer a delinquent! I can't wait to see if this document stands up to scrutiny. One thing I know, when I stand before the judgment seat, because of Christ, I will not be found delinquent, I will stand up to scrutiny, though my life has been full of failure!

Praise God that He loved me enough to send His only Son to die for me!


dad

3 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a hoot...thank you for the humor, although I can only imagine the frustration.
Regardless, God Bless...
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brent this is Johnny Pierson, I havent been on here for a while Ive been thinking of you a lot lately and praying for the missions you do. Im always inspired to read what you have to say.

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brent,
Part of the way through your narration, I thought, "Hmm, sounds like the kind of encounters we have here in Mexico, or at the border..." You made that connection, too, huh? However, in dealing with the U.S. embassy, border ordeals on the Texas side, etc., we have been somewhat surprised to find that both sides of the border handle the burocracy (I don't know how to spell that word) in the same, inefficient, absolutely frustrating manner!

It's that situation where you want patience, but don't dare to pray for it, for fear of the "lessons" God will help you learn....

Glad all went well at the wedding. Wish we could have been there!

Love, Jolene

 

Post a Comment

<< Home