Wednesday, October 22, 2008


Whitney and Jared


Since my father passed away in 1994, there have been many times that I wished he were here for me to spend time with. He was wise in the ways of the Lord, and consulting Him is something I'd like to be able to do. He was so good to my family and they loved him dearly. He never knew that God called me into ministry, but would have been enthused by the idea. I miss his support.

I have often noticed something as I study my Father's Word. Something that I have never spoken of. Something that others would dismiss, find foolish, or perhaps even disagree with. I don't care, however, as I believe it is a mercy from the Lord and will continue to draw encouragement from it.

My favorite Bible is all marked up. I know where to find scriptures in it in a number of ways. Some I have memorized. Some I know by the way I marked them. Some I find by what is marked around them. In the end, when I don't have this Bible accessible, I am at a disadvantage when I am trying to study.

This Bible has another unusual feature. It is held together by duct tape, actually black gaffer's tape. The leather cover was disintegrating many years ago, so I did a restoration work on it to prolong it's life. It's getting close to time to rework the rework.

This Word has some age to it. I've journeyed through every portion of It, from cover to cover, many times. From unbearable valleys, to thin-aired mountain peaks, I have walked with the Lord here.

Every time I open it, I notice the same thing. It carries the aroma of my father. Yes, it carries the Aroma of my Father.

My father had a scent that I will never forget. One that brings me comfort from time to time when I am reminded of it in public. I don't mean his cologne. I am talking about his natural, raw, manly smell.

On rare occassion, I will encounter another who is similarly blessed. Every time I open the Word, I am reminded.

How can my Bible and my father carry the same scent? There are so many metaphorical lanes to traverse from this position, but I don't wish to dilute the purity of my point.

My father and I had an amazing relationship. He loved me unconditionally. He showed me grace. He showed me law. He was a gentle soul who loved with his eyes and his arms. I knew when I needed correction it would be given. I learned a great deal about life from the journey with him. I learned things he would never see me demonstrate. I am still learning. I hope I will always learn.

The Word of God truly communicates in a similar fashion.

Jeremiah 6:16 says, "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls."

My father taught me to do this. He taught me both by word and by example. He demonstrated who Christ is by how he lived. I am thankful to have had a loving father who invested so much in me.

To be gifted by the Word of God that would carry not only the aroma of the Son, but also of my father, is a mercy I am truly blessed by.

Each time I open It, I am reminded of the ancient paths. Those my father walked and taught, and those of his father and his...all the way back to my Father's creation.

That Word is true for today. It is relevant for my life. It sets out road markers that I may find my way. It helps me to bring encouragement to those the Lord puts in my path. It brings encouragement to me.

I will never forget that smell. Some would not find it agreeable. How could an old Book carry the aroma of a godly man? Rather, it is the aroma of that Book that makes a man godly.

The ancient paths. The proven ways of the Father. Seek them. Walk them. Live them. You will carry His scent.


my father's son

6 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fortunate you are (and were), being able to remember your father so lovingly. We try to get past the scars, but sometimes they are so deep. Learning to forgive, trying to FORGET, is the theme of life sometimes. The Lord was at work in BJs life long before he was even born...the seeds planted, loving cared for, are so evident. May be all do as well as we move away from our past.

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pix. Beautiful couple. Wishing them all the very best, knowing Jesus will walk with them every step. Blessings to mom and dad as the Lord unites the spirits of Whitney and Jared. Bittersweet moments yet filled with the fragrance of the Father.
Mark \0/

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

Have a wonderful weekend...

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

Have a very blessed weekend, safe travels all around, and know that we are all praying from Florida

in pink
with tender love,


Marti

 
At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brent and Deanna,
I just finished reading your book. BJ's story amazed me, I sat in my Christian Highschool crying my eyes out as God's spirit touched me, flowing off the pages as I read. The book really inspired me to live like BJ lived: wholeheartedly for God. The way BJ wrote made a lot of sence to me. Thankyou for writing this book, and for following in God's will.
God bless.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh i love your dad... and our whole family misses him!!! i know i've told you before ...but sometimes when i see a picture of you...i feel like i'm looking at Uncle Vaughn!!!

love and hugs
marla

 

Post a Comment

<< Home