Monday, December 01, 2008


With children from Africa


There were few things BJ enjoyed more than getting together with family over the holidays. The activities participated in didn't matter very much as long as we came together.

This past week, my family was spread out. Lauren remained behind in Oklahoma and spent time with friends. Whitney and Jared were in Texas with his family, and Deanna and I headed to Indiana. This is not how we would choose to have the time spent, but we each had a great time, regardless.

Deanna and I had to go to Indy early, as we had an appointment to turn in our lease vehicle. It was a bit sad to do so, as we had many memories in it. There were even a package of smashed cheese crackers in one of the seat compartments that neither of us had the desire to remove up to this point, knowing that Beej had put them there.

Anyway, we left it behind, and my brother and mother returned us safely to Oklahoma. We are now in the process of looking for another car. I do not enjoy this much. I am not a car person. To me, they are just transportation.

My brother knows a great deal about them. He reads trade magazines on what cars are good and which ones are best.

We went out yesterday afternoon to look at options. Being Sunday, we knew we would remain undisturbed. That was my favorite part of looking. No one was pushing us in any direction.

I came home with my head swimming. I saw vehicles parading past in different colors and price ranges. I feel a bit like I am drowning in the swirling eddy of transportation. I know the next steps are the biggest. I want to enjoy it, but I don't like feeling pressure or having to make a decision on things I know little about. We are very blessed to have my brother's help.

On one hand, I want to make a decision before he leaves (on Thursday), but on the other, I live close enough to my office that I could walk indefinitely, if need be.

With the economy like it is, one would think I could find a great deal. I have learned that a 'great deal' seems to be relative to the buyer.

Salvation will always be the best "deal" available.

That Christ died on the cross so that you and I would not have to pay the price for our sin, is a deal that cannot be beat.

What is interesting, is how many people think that they still have to earn their way to heaven, and so believe in religions that allow them to work their way there.

Salvation is a gift from God. We receive it freely, or not at all. When we receive it, our lives change from the inside out, and we then live not for ourselves, but for Him. In doing so, we learn to die daily to self.

For most of us, this is the difficult step. We have been taught well to serve our own needs and desires. To suddenly pursue His above our own, is something that takes time and discipline. It usually takes the remainder of your experience to learn to do it.

You should never be pressured into making a decision for Him. When the time is right, you know in your heart that He is drawing you to Him. No salesman can force on you, what you do not willing want to receive. If they do, then your decision has likely not been true.

I am so thankful for the gift of Salvation, and the opportunity to live my life for Him. What a blessing to know Him more.

One of the reasons, BJ loved family gatherings, was that he knew all were believers, and he enjoyed the fellowship. He loved being able to share with his family, the things of the Lord. He learned from everyone possible, and loved to hear them share.

I pray we each take advantage of these times to talk of our Savior with our loved ones. It inspires the young and soothes mature souls.

It costs nothing and there is no pressure to "buy." Just the promise of unrelenting love that saves and keeps.

Have a blessed week!

brent

1 Comments:

At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grace-Faith-Deeds
It's funny how these get confused (particularly if you add Law in there at the beginning). They all work together. The Law shows sin, by grace Jesus became our substitute (because He LOVES us), we are saved by our faith in Christ. When we accept this we are transformed and because we LOVE Him it is revealed in our actions (we want to reflect His image in us).

I think my youngest said it best when he was four:

God knows us and LOVES us! (and I would add) In turn He wants us to know and LOVE Him!

Lisa
Santa Cruz, CA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home