Monday, January 19, 2009


Protecting or blinding?


I leave for Africa, on Saturday of this week. I will be in Uganda and Kenya. There is even a small chance I will be in Sudan. That latter is unlikely, though steps from where I am supposed to be. I have the privilege of following the Lord's guidance, and seeing what unfolds.

I can honestly say that this trip is about following the Lord in obedience. The agenda has changed multiple times. Not due to lack of planning, but more as a result of a changing landscape of opportunity within these places.

I have a team that will spend 8 weeks in Uganda, later this summer, and one of the reasons for going, is to set this trip up. However, at this point, it is more likely that I will serve in a Somali refugee camp, in the outback of Kenya. I cannot wait to see what He has in store!

Wednesday of this week, I am sharing live, on a radio show. The name is "Along the Way," and it can be found at www.alongthewayradio.com. It plays in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakotas. The interview is at 1:00 pm Central time.


This past weekend, we entered into a time at my church which we anticipate will be Revival. We cannot organize Revival, that is the work of the Holy Spirit.

I find myself wondering about something. We often speak of revival, and hear stories of the great revivals of the past. We often long for revival in our churches.

Our speaker said something very common sensical last night, and I wonder if we really ever take this to heart.

He said (and I am paraphrasing) a couple of things that stand out to me. One is that 'revival will never happen corporately, until it happens individually!' The great revivals of the past, seem to reflect this.

I believe I am guilty of sitting back in church and waiting on the Lord to move in the hearts of those around me. I must have a rather Pharisaical perspective, from the Lord's view.

It is so easy to believe that I am where I need to be, and wonder when others will arrive!

I came face to face last night, with my own self-righteousness. I do not like what I saw. I am very broken over my attitude and disobedience. I am positive that the likelihood I have reflected that here, is high. I have asked for forgiveness of Him, and do so now from you.

Another thing he said was (paraphrase) 'We ask the Lord to come and revive us, but do we do the things He has already asked us to do?'

When true revival happens, it accompanies significant kingdom growth. Enormous numbers of new believers come to Him as a result of the revival that happens in the hearts of individuals!

To believe we are in a time of revival in any body, that does not reflect the instant obedience of speaking publicly about our Savior, is a benign effort. Would that we be highly carcinogenic!

I can find a Bible full of obedience requests from my Lord, but cannot find my Bible! Perhaps, will not find my Bible is a better way of looking at it.

I am also guilty of reading without comprehension. I open it up, but do not allow its contents to take root in my heart.

I cannot expect my Savior to use me or my supposed witness in Tulsa, let alone Uganda, if I am not walking out my obedience.

For the few who read this, if we allowed the Spirit of the Lord to truly regenerate our hearts and responded in instant obedience to the things He is already asking us to do, we would become infectious, and His love would spread at an amazing rate!

I am seeking to avail myself to His direction more so now, than ever. Won't you join me, for His sake? For the sake of the lost? For the meeting of needs of the broken?

His impact must begin in my own heart. I cannot wait for others to do what He has spoken over me, to do!

brent

6 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

I'm with you, my brother.

God has been having me pray specifically for revival since this past fall. And I'm praying He will let it begin with


Marti
(praying in pink
with tender love)

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, too.

The repetitive sentences from this post & things we have heard & read in sermons & the Word over the last 12 months are incredible.

His Spirit's desire is undeniable.

Bring a downpour, Lord, on my me. Hosea 6:1-3

On My Knees...
Tammy

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent, no need to apologize. I love you just as you are! (Boilermaker and all!) My list of shortcomings and disobedience far exceeds yours I'm sure. We are all in the same condition, needing His constant forgiveness and grace. I'll be praying for you while you are in Africa. I suspect He has much to teach you there and look forward to reading about what you have learned in the weeks ahead.

I could write much about revival, but I will say that after many years, I've become discouraged and doubtful it will come in my lifetime. I have no doubt it WILL come but we have much farther to fall as a culture before our stiff-necks are ready to bend. As you have said, I need revival. I am more often like the campfire in the early morning hours, glowing and hot but not ablaze, not dazzling, crackling and bright. And needing fuel and fresh wind to stoke fire. When my flames are hot and burning brightly then others catch on fire too. My worthless two cents!
Mark \0/

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was necessarily convicting and gratefully read.

thank you for sharing that.

Mary

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for that!

God Bless!

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the daughter to larry singletary and I cannot tell you how much my heart yearns to be right where you were I know my dad has been in difficult situations before but I am sure this was the worst by far I am so thankful that you all made it back safelty. I miss it there in uganda. I read this blog and thought Oh dear God this was quite a trip for yall I dont think I would have survived as many times as I have been shot at and trapped in side my house listening to gun fire from the raiding going on man! God bless you all for being a trooper in all this.
laura singletary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home