Friday, December 19, 2008


Caroling at Chik-fil-a



I wanted to let you know of an upcoming event in my life.

A couple of years ago, the Lord called me to Kenya. I do not understand it well enough to articulate the why’s and wherefore’s. I only know I need to follow in obedience.

I have tried in my role at Awe Star Ministries to put together teams to minister there. The president of our organization, Walker Moore, has said “no,” each time. I trust his judgment and hold no ill will because of it.

A couple of months ago, a missionary couple from Indonesia came into our offices to pray over us. They have a “prayer of affirmation” ministry. They came a year ago and did the same. In this most recent meeting, one of the things he prayed over me was, “Brent, you need to go ahead and visit the 5, 6 or 7 places on your heart.”

As Walker and I were debriefing that prayer time later, I told him, “I don’t currently have 5 -7 places on my heart, I don’t know what he was talking about.”

Walker replied, “I know one. You have been talking about Kenya for two years!”

He is correct. (Actually, at this writing, the Lord has revealed 3 to 5 of these places to me. Most are places I would never go without the quickening of the Spirit within me. I was the little boy who was a homebody and never cared to travel, let alone leave the US.)

Anyway, I have been preparing an Xtreme team to minister in Uganda next summer. I have been working with a man named Larry, who was a career missionary there. We invited him and many others to our Missions Conference in early November. I had little interaction with him, as I had much on my plate. When we did come together for about 20 brief seconds, the Lord moved in my heart to pursue him. I immediately had a strong desire to visit the ‘bush’ where he has worked. Up to that point, I had no interest in the same.

Larry gave me a 2’x3’ framed close up picture of a Karamajong woman (from Uganda). The only thing in it, is her head and it fills the entire frame. Each eye is 6 to 8 inches across. She has a ridiculous number of brightly colored bead strands, hanging tightly around her neck. Her eyes seem to be a portal to the lostness of her people.

My passion has only grown, and yet I have no idea what it is about.

After the event was over, I wrote to Larry and asked him about an upcoming set-up trip I had heard him speak of. I told him no one knew about what I was asking, and preferred he keep it quiet. I told him I was interested in going with him, should that be possible.

He wrote me back immediately. He said he would love to have me along, but there was one catch. He was going to visit a Somali refugee camp in Kenya!

I about exploded, reading those words!

I knew I was supposed to go!

I wrote him back and told him that I believed that was why the Lord had put him on my heart. That I was to accompany him to Uganda so that the Lord could get me into Kenya!

The next hurdle was talking to Walker. He has been consistent in his, ‘no’ to this country.

I shared with him at one point that the Lord was doing this work within me, and then I said nothing else for a time.

He had said nothing for weeks, and my doubts began to mount.

A phone call from Larry last week, prompted me to bring the topic up again. To be honest, some of my concerns and lack of understanding about the whole thing had led me to doubts and a general lack of assertiveness in pursuing it. Busy schedules and travel, further complicated the issue.

When Larry’s call came, I talked to Walker again. We set a time to discuss it. I was convinced this would be the death knell of my opportunity.

When our appointed time came to go over details, he began by saying, “I completely support you going on this trip!”

I had not expected that reaction.

Today, I am working on details for all of the shots, flights, etc, that need to be prepared in short order. Lord willing, I will connect in an airport somewhere with Larry (who lives in San Antonio) and we will head for East Africa. We leave January 24th and I am likely to return 10 days later, in early February.

My enthusiasm over this journey only grows. I do not pretend to understand what the Lord has in store, but am taking one step at a time to seek him. I have a growing passion, and am anxious to see why.

When He called me to ministry back in 1997, I responded with foolishness. I told Him, “anywhere but Africa!” My first summer trip with Awe Star was to Africa. Upon our return, I had zero interest in ever going back to that Dark Continent. Today, my excitement overflows! I cannot wait to get there, and I have no idea what is in store or why I am even ‘called’ to go.

There is much more to say, but I just wanted to put this before you as a prayer request. I very much would appreciate your intercession on behalf of whatever the Lord is up to.

Thank you for your continued support in our lives! Each one of you, are a blessing to Deanna and me. Please pray for her and the girls as well. The enemy loves to prey upon the minds of immediate family.

I pray the Lord would bless you as you walk in His obedience!

dad

3 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to hear of your opportunity dad! I will be praying for you and your family.
Mark \0/

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,

Praise God for your obedience! I will pray specifically for this event in addition to continuing to pray for your family.

Lisa Potter
Santa Cruz, CA

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you dad. My heart overflows with excitement for what God has in store for you. I pray for your heart to pour out to the people you come in contact with. April and I will be praying for you and your family.

Garreth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home