Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Over the past week or so we have been inundated with the news, video, soundbites and songs of fallen celebrities. Some were tragic, some courageous, some simply overexposed. I no longer even have television (I opted out of the digital tv world)and I couldn't get away from it. It seemed there was a Michael Jackson song playing everywhere I went no matter the time.

Now, I grew up listening to this music as he was only a few years older than myself and so many of his songs made up a part of the soundtrack of my childhood and college years. I admit I stopped listening when his life got really, well, wierd. I view his life as tragic and lost, many years and dollars spent on trying to capture purpose, maybe justification...or as he said, his "lost" childhood.

However, one of the songs I heard captured my attention in that it was very different from the others and I had never heard it before - obviously from one of his later albums. I didn't know what the song was called but thanks to Google have learned it is simply called "Childhood". It is a slower more melencholy song than was typical of his style.

While the slow tempo is what initially caught my attention certain lyrics jumped out at me and are stuck in my brain: "Before you judge me, try hard to love me." As Christians, doesn't this call to mind God's command to us to love each other? Isn't this representative of His unconditional love?

It is very difficult as citizens of the Heavenly kingdom living in a fallen world to not judge those we come into contact with because they are not exibiting the moral character, attributes or lifestyles we are called to. And yes, we are called to hold each other as Christians accountable when we see a believer living contrary to Scripture's teaching. However, we can't hold a non-believer to the same standard and if we try to do so we will alienate them faster than anything else, then what chance is there that they will turn a listening ear to the message of God's love for them and offer of saving grace?

We are commanded and called to love others. As you pass through your community today it might not hurt if you let these lyrics haunt your brain as well. Try hard to love them before you judge them. You don't have to condone their lifestyles, habits or life choices. You might not like their circumstances -- but if you jump to judgement first you may find it very difficult to exhibit God's love to them in a way in which they will receive it.

Overwhelm the world with His love today,

brad

3 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good,Brad. What a great reminder.
Aunt Maralyn

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Brad, a very good reminder that I and we don't love as Jesus does often enough. Especially not for 'wackos' and those who might be different! \O/

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! Thank you, Brad.

Lisa
Santa Cruz, CA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home