Monday, December 05, 2011


Deanna and I waiting in line to ride the Christmas Train


Sunday evening, Lauren, Weston, Deanna and I went on the "Christmas Train." It is an event that occurs at Dry Gulch Camp, Oklahoma. A couple of 1800's era trains haul people through the countryside, past painted murals, and live actors portraying the story of Christ from Creation through the Resurrection. It is an extremely moving experience!

The train station is set in an old West town near Pryor, Oklahoma. The camp is owned by a church in Tulsa. They do an unbelievable job handling thousands of people with an all volunteer army, who attend to the needs of the masses through gift shops, coffee shops, arcades, restaurants, a cowboy/Christmas music venue, Carolers, etc.

I had never even heard of this, and when we were given tickets to this sold out event, I did not know what to expect. My near-sighted vision was shattered by this overwhelming experience.

I believe many come to experience the old west in the cold of winter (yes we were bundled up like we were at a ski resort) with all of the lights and ambiance. While here, they unmistakeably hear and see the Gospel portrayed! What an amazing event!


When we arrived, we headed to a restaurant and got something to eat. We sat cafeteria style with many others but enjoyed ourselves immensely!

After dinner we braved the cold and the line for the train. We had lively conversation and interacted with others as we waited. We laughed a great deal.

Somewhere in the line, a young girl started to watch me closely. We were nearly in the train station, when her father called out to me and said, "My daughter thinks you're Santa Claus!"

From the picture above, I guess you can see why. Still he found it necessary to postulate aloud why she might think this (as if he believed I might somehow be offended).

I was moved to laughter.

From then on, I noticed her watching me ever so closely. As a matter of fact, I began to realize others were paying me some abnormally close attention.

We traded silly faces and motorboat noises. She watched me through much of the train ride. I kept expecting her to come and climb into my lap.

It was a precious encounter and a great reminder of how children respond to the "magic" of the Christmas season.

Of course, we know there is no magic. There is our Savior.

He came to the earth as an infant to ultimately die for your sin and mine. We need only to call upon Him to be our Savior and Lord, at the time that He draws us close, and we will be saved.

This experience held some "magic" for me too. For a few minutes it was rather amazing to have her young eyes and heart full of expectation turned my direction.

Of course, I would fail her. I could never meet all of her needs.

My Savior can, however!

I was reminded of how incredible the Season of Celebrating Christ's birth was when my children were young. They too were so full of expectation and hope.

It is a grand reminder that we need to approach our Lord with the eyes and heart of a child. He will meet our needs and care for our lives.

I am so thankful for this! What a blessing to be in relationship with the King of kings and the Lord of lords!

Have a blessed Christmas Season! Experience it through the eyes and heart of a child, if you can!


dad (not Santa)

1 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Brent, while I have not pictured you as Santa Claus before, in the photo you posted you are looking very Santa-esque! Thanks for the devotional thoughts that keep the true message of Christmas at the forefront.

Becky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home