Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Deanna enjoyed her Birthday, and you all made it very special for her. Thank you so very much for this. It lifted her, more than you know.

In deciding what to write about, I realized that I had not shared any of Beej's writings in awhile. We all struggle with sin areas in our lives. There are those sins that we seem to return to over and over. The kind Paul wrote Romans 7:7-25 about. Sin is generally a pride issue, at some level. Something we insist on doing or participating in, because of the gratification we get. It never lasts...actually it fades immediately. Still we return to it. Here is what Beej wrote:

"All sins are attempts to fill voids"

"Throughout our lives we are marching, searching for something- our goal- but as we do not want to step into the light or stand up on the hill due to our deep-saturating shame, we remain helpless, hopeless, slaves in time, slaves to time. We wait to begin our search, as we hold out on ourselves, merely holding on to existence, groping blindly in the dark for something, some clue to tell us where we are, and if there is something to go to. In our emptiness we search for a reason for this void, and in our ignorance try to fill it with something- anything- and so, with trash.

And as we strive to fill ourselves, the garbage with which we have become consumed disintegrates as we pour it into the infinite void- as these simple and evil "pleasures" do not last, but leave as we continue to search for substance and for subsistence.

Our emptiness resounds in the darkness, echoing, revealed in the distant light, and we try to hide from it, ignore it, and consume ourselves with the garbage of evil, temporary "pleasures:" sins. We carry through our lives asking questions of why we are so empty, becoming all the more aware of our emptiness and all the more empty. Where is fulfillment? Where is escape from our darkness? In the last place that it would be looked for, though often the most obvious. God. Christianity...The light. There, with God, for in God you will find purpose and subsistence. There, in the light you will be filled and your darkness will be driven out.

Sins are attempts to fill voids, and ironically, they are also what make voids, or rather, eat away at the little substance that people have. They are the antithesis of what they are trying to accomplish"


He wrote that 2 years ago. I think he had a very strong grasp on sin. I continue to praise the Lord that Beej wrote as he did. His words are very true for us right now. Be encouraged, and as Christ said, "Go and sin no more."

dad

13 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing.. as for any other words, I'm speechless. Thank you so much for sharing, I love you all more than I could ever tell you.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent, Deanna,
We were unable to get on yesterday and leave a comment, however, know that the Littell Family not only lifts you and your family up to the Lord, but we also wanted to wish Both You (on Thursday) and Deanna (Yesterday) a Very Happy Birthday!

Your Friend,
Matt Littell

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Almost every time I read something BJ wrote I end up asking, "Who was this boy?" His writings boggle my mind at their depth, wisdom, and grasp on thngs I have tried to understand myself. Thank you for continuing to share his writings with us. Speaking for myself, what I read here urges me on to spiritual maturity. God is using this to complete that good work He has begun in me. Thank you again and again for your continued faithfulness to all of us who visit this site daily. God bless your day.

Love and prayers,
Toodie

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BJ's writings have such depth and insight, it makes me think of what it must have been like for those listening to Jesus share when he was a young child, amazed at His wisdom and way of expressing Himself. Of course, BJ wasn't Jesus, but his words definitely convey such a deep love and understanding of our Lord's teachings.

I pray that you have a nice day today and am glad Deanna's birthday turned out at least a bit better than she had expected.

Love and Peace to you all.

Tina

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello family,

In reading BJ's words, I can't help but think that he had to be doing more than journaling alone...It's like his words HAD to be shared with others, for us to benefit and grow and be challenged.
You have mentioned that he led guys' Bible study groups, and he was SO capable! It's awesome that he wrote down his thoughts and that now you are sharing them for the edification of others. Of course, we'd rather that he shared them himself, but thank you for allowing God to work in this time that is difficult (an understatement, I know...) for you.

We love you and continue praying for you,

Jolene

P.S. Thanks for allowing us to share in your lives last week, too. We were blessed, and look forward to seeing you and your church families again someday in the not too distant future, we hope. Northside and Mooresville: you are welcome down here anytime--Come see us!

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,
Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I needed to read that more than anything right now. Unfortunatly, Sins are like bad habits, you think you can push them aside then when things go wrong, they come a-knockin. Mine have started to. But now I think I can fight through it better now that I have read this.

In Christ,
Ben Hackler

P.S. Deanna, I am glad you had a nice $^th birthday

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brent and Deanna,
Happy Birthday to both of you on this day between the birthdays! I echo my family's expressions of thanks to you and your church families as we were able to visit, worship, and work side by side last week. We are blessed. This Friday be looking for a delivery from UPS of all the photos I took in Louisiana.
Love always,
Dan
Deer Park, TX

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Awesome. Such depth for a young man. Such a mature spiritual leader. And he continues to minister through this blog everyday -- through you, through the Holy Spirit. Thanks to you all.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my family in Christ!

WOW- God works SO QUICKLY!!! Yesterday when I read the blog, as I logged off I asked God to have you share more of BJ's writings! I emailed Walker yesterday to let him know that I received the DVD on Monday and got to watch it right away as I was home sick with the Flu - never have I ever been more thankful to get the flu!!! I was blessed and moved beyond words at the lack of streaming tears that I sometimes experience DAILY without having my Gramma! I was encouraged by Walker's heart and his tears to play part in the Revival that is at hand in this generation! I watch these kids and praise God for the leaders I see, but also am reminded that we ALL need to stand in prayer, because the SIN that BJ speaks of is knocking down these young people's doors every single day and it's SO EASY to follow! Please continue to intercede that the Lord would use us to raise up more WARRIORS for His fight - the GOOD fight! Today's entry from BJ hit the mark on EXACTLY what I've been struggling with lately, in fact for YEARS, God's timing is SO PERFECT!!!

You would have to know me to know that I learn better from someone reading the word to me or writing about it, then I actually learn from reading it myself! My A.D.D. mind gets SO LOST, but don't get me wrong, we should all READ the WORD - I just feel I get more out of it when I HEAR it rather than when I READ it! Thank you for sharing BJ so freely! The DVD was REMARKABLE and I am blessed to call you FAMILY! By the blood we have been bound and by the blood we will see ETERNITY together! PRAISE OUR GREAT LORD!

One other thing (I'm sorry) - I want to recommend Matt & Beth Redman's book "Blessed be your name" to you. I finished reading it yesterday and thought of you often! It makes me think of the book or BOOKS that are yet to come from BJ's life - a life well lived and died for!

May the Lord bless you richly as you continue to serve His Kingdom! You are loved and prayed for!

~Laurel, San Diego

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!

Still praying in Oklahoma,

Katie Kyle
Piedmont, OK

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed again at how deep BJ was in his writings. His legend is always full of surprises. You're in my prayers.
Love,
Lauren Szabo

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from Down Under, no not Australia, NZ the real downunder! Hi Pray for BJ I was surfing blogs (as you do) looking for pray information when I came across your site. While this post wasn't an exact match I enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for the read, I'll visit again some time. take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home