Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Lying around the house, mostly where he left them, are pairs of glasses and contact lenses that no longer require use. I've talked before about his bad eyesight. In one eye he had uncorrectable vision... 20/200, I think it was. The other eye was 20/uh, a little better than the other one.

Have you ever worn someone else's glasses? Bad idea! A headache begins immediately! I have often wondered what it would be like to see through Beej's eyes. I have tried his glasses on. When I do, I cannot make out the writing on the posters on the wall. If his glasses skew my vision as badly as his eyes needed correcting, his view in the world was poor, when uncorrected.

Wearing glasses is not funny, but I have struggled many times not to laugh at friends (Elsie Jay) wearing bi-focals, bobble-heading it to gain focus on what they were trying to read. Deanna has been wearing reading glasses for some time now. I teased her when she began. I often offer to hold her book across the room so she can read without them. For some reason, this isn't funny to her anymore.

Now it seems that my turn has arrived. I struggle to see my devotional book and/or Bible each morning without borrowing her glasses...Shhhh! Don't tell her! I've even found myself bouncing my head like the little dog figures that used to sit in the back windows of cars, as I try to see the news on tv after reading a passage (a feeble attempt at multi-tasking).

I still see the humor in this, even though I am the one to be laughed at.

BJ wore glasses for most of his life. His vision, foggy at best. He was a hard working young man who compensated for this short-coming, somehow. He would often leave his glasses at home on school days. I do not know how he could see what he needed to see.

His vision of the world was something he was used to. I remember how shocked he was when he first got glasses. All the details were sharp, and he was amazed. He said he didn't know the world looked this way.

How often do we look at the world with our own filters, based on our own life experiences. We accept as fact, things which according to scripture are clearly fiction. We do so because we are more comfortable believing what is less convicting.

In Matthew 9:35-36 It says "Jesus went through all the towns and villages... When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd."

Too many times when we walk filthy streets, we condemn in our heads those we see who are drunk, disheveled, or in general, have filthy hearts. We cling to the faith we have, but do not grasp the task of taking the gospel to these who are in desperate need. Our vision of the world is poor, when uncorrected.

Proverbs 4:19 says "But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble."

If they do not know, then they need someone with good vision to show them. BJ had poor vision in the world, but he had clear vision of the world. His vision was not his own, but because he had eyes for the Savior, the Savior gave him eyes for the world.

How's your vision?

brent (dad)


Ashley R. your gift was so precious to us! They've already been used, and I sadly forgot to thank you! The card you made was very meaningful. We still have it! You are a blessing!

Layla, write me at bahiggins1259@msn.com

5 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dad,
the last bit of my youthful pride were washed off of my face during a white-water rafting trip with the youth-group a few years ago. True to my experience, the replacement glasses came with THREE old-aged-eyes helpers! It is a joy to know someday I'll see clearly!
Mark
Oh

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love you guys. You are in my prayers daily.

We went ¨home¨to Peru this weekend and it was the first that some of the believers there knew of BJ´s passing. I want you to know that there was one struggling church when Awestar first came to Tumbes. Now there are three that are flouishing. The original church is bursting at the seams and is going to the outback (2 hour round trip, at least) each week to plant a new church in San Jacinto which is one of the places Awestar gave the presentation. Two believers (one single, one married) are starting seminary soon. Some who were in high school then are in college now and faithfully witnessing.

Thought you would like to know,

Frank in Quito

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent-
Thanks for keeping up the blog, it is inspiring. you always seem to say the right things... I enjoy reading the things that you write. I miss you and the family very much, can't wait to see you again.
Love Always,
Rachel Trask

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I'm reading a book right now for school called The Life You've Always Wanted It's a great book on what kind of person God has called us to be. As i was reading today in chapter eight titled Life Beyond Regret, Basically it talked about our troubled view of the world around us and how where caught up in the sins of others that we don't see our own it's like were blinded. I can think of so many times in my life that i've been blinded and i've longed to see something at the end of the road, it's been three years since i've turned my life around and have really started living for christ and I met you and your family at the beginning of that journey. My blinders have been slowly coming off to reveal an amazing world that longs for what i was longed for so long and that is to see. God has really opened my eyes as i've started my first semester of bible college and it's been a shock... But i look back and remember all the things I know about B.J. and it pushes me to remove the blinders even more so i can see what he had seen when he looked out into the world.
lots of prayers
Chrissy

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Ashley Reagan said...

Hey Fam! I'm glad to hear you all enjoyed the coffee. :) I just wanted to do something for you all since you have done so much for me. I love you guys so much and can't wait to see you all in person again.

Ashley Dawn

P.S. Dad, my mom gave me a WillowTree for v-day! It made me think of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home