Monday, April 24, 2006

The trip from Indiana to Oklahoma was an encouraging one. Traveling with my brother was a pleasure. We have done so before, usually to visit my younger sister Lynae and her family, as they have hop-scotched across the country from Virginia to Colorado, and back to Virginia again. I think they are staying put for a while.

Anyway, the trip was far more beautiful than I remembered. Even northeast Oklahoma was much hillier and lake filled than I thought. This area is suffering from the worst drought in 85 years, but all seems green to this Hoosier.

Arriving at Awe Star was like seeing family I had been missing. We felt very welcomed and appreciated when we arrived. Staff came to my car to help unload my office stuff. We spent time setting it up... it includes mementos of BJ's. I am hoping that doesn't make anyone uncomfortable.

While I was in Mexico a few weeks ago, Walker (President of Awe Star) did something I cannot remember if I conveyed. The team had gotten up very early to begin the trip home. Walker said a few words to them, and then told them he was passing the mantle to their new leader, and that I was going to address them (He had forgotten to tell me he was going to do this).

We gave him time to leave the room, then I addressed the group. The Lord had given me a few words to say, and I shared them. I remember quoting my son as part of my pledge to serve them.

When I arrived in my new office this past week, there was something laying across my desk. I looked at it as I tried to figure it out. I cocked my head in several different angles as I wondered.

Walker and Cathy have been remodeling their home. We made several trips to check the progress. It's looking great. It isn't finished yet, but it is coming along. One of the things they're having done is a reworking of the wall and area surrounding their fireplace. They'd ripped out the old... that was what was on my desk... the old mantle!

He had figuratively passed it on, and now he has physically passed it on. His old 'mantle' rests on my office wall where it supports things my son collected while in Peru.

That mantle holds things very dear to me... both physically, and figuratively.

Elijah passed on the mantle of authority God had given him to Elisha. Both were powerful followers and servants of our most High God. I do not presume to compare us to them. Only that when the mantle of authority is passed on, it occurs at the prompting of the Lord.

I can tell you that makes me very nervous.

A young lady came through the front door of the offices. Staff greeted her, and she spoke to each of them. I assumed they all knew her, and I moved forward to introduce myself. She looks at me and says, "your son is the reason I am going on this mission trip. I was one of the students at Mingo Valley when you spoke there."

I have no idea if I responded, or said anything intelligible. I was shocked.

While the mantle may have been passed, it is still my God who is in control, and He knows just how to meet the needs of His own. Thank you Lord Jesus, for this amazing encouragement!

dad

The MercyMe cd "Coming Up To Breathe" is released tomorrow. Please purchase a copy, I don't believe you will be disappointed!

5 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Blogger Ashley Reagan said...

Welcome to Tulsa! Looking forward to seeing all of you in the near future.
I'm getting the cd tomorrow and I can't wait!

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,
Wow! I continue to be amazed at the words you share and the depth of the message behind them. I am so glad that you are safe and getting adjusted to your new home. I see Deanna in the halls and give her hugs whenever possible. Please rest assured that we love her and continue to support all of you in prayer. May God bless you! I can't wait to pick up the cd!

Love,
Lori Burkert

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May His blessings flow to and through you as you begin your journey with Awe Star. His impact is always greater than our footprint and always stunning! Pre-ordered the CD and can hardly wait! His Peace, Dad.
Mark
Hudson, OH

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers continue for all. I loved your story you shared, Brent. Lattany, glad to get an update. Will continue to keep Corbin and all surrounding him in prayers. The whole "ecmo" thing made my heart skip a beat, bringing back thoughts of BJ.

Blessings, Tina

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I return here and it seems like connecting with old friends... I am just amazed at God's work in your life. Maybe I'll visit for real someday.

(PS - You KNOW I'm going to like the title "Coming up to Breathe." :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home