Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I was reminded this past weekend of a conversation I had with BJ about 6 years ago. We were out in the yard one afternoon after school picking up the seemingly hundreds of walnuts that had fallen from our oversized walnut tree that filled the backyard. I don't remember why we started talking about love, but for some reason we did. We got into a very heated arguement becuase BJ was trying to explain to me that love is a verb and I, being older, could not accept that I was wrong and so fought him that love is simply an idea. Our conversation went on and got loud enough that we were reprimanded by mom and dad and so ended our discussion. Looking back I can see what my pride would not let me see at the time, at the age of ten, Beej had a much better and deeper understanding of something as complex as love than I did.

This weekend at our college Bible study, we were studying Romans 1. Our group focused on the end of the chapter and ended up having most of our discussion on faith. Romans 1:16-17 says "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written, 'The righteous shall live by faith.'" We began to try to define Faith and came to the conclusion that faith is about much more than simply a belief. Faith moves you to action. Faith without works is dead, it's about obedience. Faith is not an idea, it's a verb. Just like love. Just like my little brother tried to tell me so many years ago. Just like Beej wrote about so often, we as Christians settle for "faith" that lets Jesus be our Savior but not the Lord of our life. We say we believe but refuse to allow our belief to change our actions. We settle for love that is merely spoken and rarely shown. Faith and love are part of a lifestyle, not a religion and it's our job to show that to the world.

Whitney

7 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes Whitney extremely well said.

Jesus tells us in John 20:29 Blessed are those who have never seen Me and yet have believed on Me.

Isn't this the first step to our faith? For me personally it is, then to fully rely on God in all things. As you said not only to have Him as our Savior but most importantly to make Him King and Lord of all that we are, in all that we do. We must submit to His authority and when we do we will see changes in our lives. I know when I was born again friends told me I was no longer fun to be around because I wouldn't induldge in their rude or dirty jokes. The Lord cleaned up my mouth almost over night.
I love the verse in 2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. To me this says it all, if we really rely on God then we won't react by what we see with our physical eyes but will rely fully on our Faith in Christ Jesus.

This needs to be seen hand in hand with love in our daily walk with the Lord. Our actions need to speak of who we are in Jesus. It's like the verse where it says not to be just readers of the Word but doers. I could go on and on.... sorry I get excited when I think of all the things that are available to us throught the Word.

In His Love
Linda
Shawnee

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen Whit. So good to hear from you here!

'What you do doesn't make you who you are, but who you are makes what you do.'

Some say love is blind. I wonder if faith is the same..?
2 Corinthians 4:18, Hebrews 11:1

Loving and praying for you,
brit

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Whitney!!!!! Funny, how when we think we know everything, we find out we still have so much to learn!!

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've missed it! Where in Tulsa will you be?

We visit Tulsa real often as we're missionaries with Back To The Bible.

Your son's insight led me to read "Don't Waste Your Life." I can't tell you how that book has changed my life! I'm so thankful.

We would welcome a chance to visit with you....

May God continue to bless you as you transition into a different location to serve Him. I will be praying.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FBC youth:
Bring back any memories?

In Corbin, on the mission trip last summer Beej talked a lot about one of the things that he was learning, which was love. Also, he must have been studying Romans 1 that week because got to be almost like a joke because we could barely get through a conversation that week with out Beej bringing up something out of Romans 1--We could hear it coming everytime and try to beat him to it. Any time Romans 1 is brought up I think about that!

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like little brother wasn't the only one with mature understanding! Blessings on you today, Whitney!!

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whit, we are praying for you: that God will heap upon you large amounts of faith as you transition through the summer. If you ever need us we are here for you, and love (verb) you deeply.
John & Jeannie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home