Friday, June 09, 2006

Activity here in the office is bustling. Staff and volunteers are bumping about making preparations.

Every sense the Lord blessed me with is standing on a razor's edge. The slightest brush from most any stimuli brings about a potential overreaction.

I cannot wait to get there in one moment, and the next I wonder, "How did it come to this?"

This began decades ago when my father landed on the same shores we will walk. The leading continued through God's unusual call to my son. A call he could not wait to answer. He was so excited that it was all he could talk about. Most of the things I have felt that way about in life have had no eternal implications whatsoever!

I still remember his words to me as he tried to encourage me not to let the safety issues be the prevalent thoughts in my head. He was ready to face whatever was ahead of him... even death.
He considered it gain to be able to serve in such a way.

I do not expect nor fear this kind of end. God's plan for our team is unique. I would love to pontificate about our future forays, but I have no such knowledge. God apportions to us what we need as we come into the circumstances that will require such information, through the power of His Holy Spirit.

That does not mean we sit around doing nothing. It just means that our plan is to be fluid, to flow in each direction He leads, and turn when the doors are closed, just as the Apostle Paul did.

We are going because God called us there. He will provide the wisdom I need to lead this team. I know I do not have within me what is required to do this on my own. His grace and strength are sufficient for all our needs.

There are 19 total on our team to North Africa, 11 women and 8 men. Two of our team were on BJ's last Peru team. Several others knew him. Upon arrival, the first or second day in country we will hike up a mountain overlooking a city, and have a time of Praise and Worship, and remember him. We will share him with this place, and a part of him will abide within the country, Lord willing.

Here is a schedule for our team:

June 12 to 15 Leadership Training in Tulsa
June 16 head to Dallas, more leadership training
June 17 Awe Star missionaries arrive
June 18-20 Training (Awe Star University or ASU)
June 21 Depart for North Africa
June 22 Arrive in North Africa
June 23 - July17 ministry
July 18 Leave North Africa
July 19 Arrive in Dallas
July 19-20 debrief
July 21 Students return home/Panama 10 Day students arrive for training
July 22 training
July 23 Panama 10 day team departs country
July 23 Higgins return to Tulsa

I beg you to pray as never before for this trip. Your intercession is what will enable us to minister in this "closed country." Pray for "thirsty" minds of the people, that they will ask many many questions! Pray for clarity in seeing ministry opportunities. Pray for safety in travel, in border crossings, that certain eyes will only see what the Lord wants them to see. Pray for Unity on the team, and in the body of Christ! Pray that we are able to focus on Christ and help our students do the same... that we will remember BJ and honor him, but not let the trip be about him. Pray for the teams to Chile, Peru, Panama and Hungary.

Body of Christ, we have so appreciated you as our own family. You have lifted us through our journey past. We are humbled at your promises to pray for our journey ahead. And as I try to remind myself daily, remember to pray for us to remain in each moment that the Lord gives us, and to be present in that place, that He might minister through us.

May God richly bless each of you!

brent



My brother Brad is going to update the site in our absence (and perhaps other family).

To keep up with our trips directly, go to www.awestar.org and click on "trip updates" on the left side of the screen. From here you can click on "photos" or "view trip updates" and then click on the trip you want to view.

13 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent-Go with our prayers for you and for all the teams who are going to spread the Love of Jesus Christ to a world that is in deperate need. We appreciate Brad keeping the website in your absence. God Bless You All....

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless you, and your family, and your fellow ministers...
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,
I can't believe I ran across this blog. I often wonder were your journey has lead you. I am so sorry to hear about your son. He is the same age as my youngest, and when I read all this I was so saddened. I just want you to know that my prayers and thoughts are with you. You are truley a leader. And what an amazing son. I am truly glad to see you following your heart. Good luck to you on your trip.
Amy
P.S. Petals has been fat and happy

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be praying without ceasing for all of you. May God guide your steps and use you mightly! And will be looking forward to all you have to tell when you return to us. We are your extended family and we love you!

Linda Anderson

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger natenamy said...

We're Praying ALWAYS!
Nate and Amy

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying in Pink! Blessings in the days ahead, Higgins family.
Mark, OH

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dad--

it makes my heart ache that i'm not going to be there at ASU this summer and to share w/everyone about the great things the Lord has done, while the Lord has called me on a youth group trip for a very specific reason, my heart yearns to be w/family. I love you, and Deanna, and the girls immensely. A day will not pass when i am not praying for your trip! the Lord is going to move..and i canNOT wait to hear about it.

love you..praying always.

~kristin

 
At 2:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brent-
thank you so much again for the post. For some reason, God led me away from the North Africa team--my plans for the summer obviously weren't His. He's showing me how much it's not about me, and how much it's about Him. I will be praying vigilantly for both of you, the north africa team, and the rest of the teams traveling this summer. God has something big planned, and i am excited to be a part of it through you. thank you for your continuing service-

Your servant,
Phil

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Psalm 91:1,2 & 11
He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty.
2. I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I (confidently) trust.
11. For He will give His angels charge over you to accompany and defend and preserve you in all your ways (of obedience and service).

Brent this is my prayer for you and your team, for all the teams traveling this summer to do the Lord's work. That He will always be your strength and fortress, that His angels will always be there with you giving protection.

May the hearts be softened, the ears and eyes opened to the ways of the Lord Jesus Christ, may we hear of great things happening in S.Africa, and may all the glory, honor and praise be given to God, for we are able to do ALL things through Christ who strengthens us.

Know that although we are not with you in S.Africa, we stand beside you as the body of Christ in intercession on your behalf and for those who will be traveling.
God bless you in all that He has for you to do.

In His Love
Linda

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NORTH Africa!!

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Kristin, I am sad that I won't be at ASU either this summer. But I know God has something awesome in store for me here. But I am praying for all the teams and look forward to reading the updates throughout the next few weeks.

Laura O.

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Prayers are with you!!!
God Bless
Kevin

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you asked for prayer on the sixth or seventh for an AWE STAR Guadalajara Missions trip, I was on that trip. There I learned about your son and the amazing ways God is using his life and death. BJ's story spoke to my and made me want to become like him. On one of our days Walker challenged our team to perform the last drama of the night for God alone. As we were setting up thhey played the song Mercy Me wrote about BJ. This began God's breaking of my heart during the drama by putting me in a sacrificial mindset. That drama let us in tears as we realized th glory and awesomeness of God's incredible love. Bj's song remains attached to this experience along with the love for who God is that it invoked in me. I am so thankfull that God allowed me to go on this missions trip for Him with a organization that could tell us of a boy so passionate about God that he would die for Him. I hope that one day, I too, can grow to love God as your son did. BJ's story touched my life in amzing and challenging ways, and I thank God for that. I am praying for you all.
Love in ><>,
Katie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home