Monday, July 03, 2006

Yesterday I had the opportunity to spend much of the day with my good friends (and prayer partners) Keith and Robin in close proximity to one of the few waterfalls in Indiana. It was a beautiful, hot day and we were there to celebrate a birthday, spend time with family (Keith's) and enjoy the scenery that God has created. I had never visited this site before and while it isn't exactly Niagra Falls it had its own charm and beauty and I really enjoyed it.

Keith and Robin are one of those wonderful couples who don't let the fact that I am single affect their interest in including me in their lives and considering me an extension of their "family". It was fun to picnic, hike, throw a frisbee and watch the kids explore the wonders of the natural environment - all within hearing range of the rush of falling water that is always somehow soothing and cleansing to my soul.

When they found out that Brent and Deanna were going to be moving to Oklahoma and realizing that this would have an impact on me due to our relationship, they spoke up quickly and reminded me not to forget my "other family" who would still live nearby and would be happy to help me through the transition time. Not only have they made a point of staying in contact with me at least once a week, Robin has gently reminded me to make/keep in contact with members of my actual family at times and I am sure she does this at the prodding of the Holy Spirit.

They- like many of you- have been a very real part of my support system and I am so greatful that the Lord brought them (and you) into my life. Being single it is especially easy I think to be selfish in a lot of ways because our natural tendency is to think of your own situation because, after all, you are responsible for your own interests. It is therefore important -as it is for all of us regardless of marital status or age- to let others into our lives and (gasp!) urge them to be honest with us with what they see in our lives, the good and the bad. It is important to both reach out to others and let others reach in to us.

Like so many of us Keith and Robin have family health issues on their hearts so please make them a part of your prayer time.

Heavenly Father, thank you for friends and family whose impact and presence in our lives helps to stabalize us, point us toward common goals and keep us accountable. Help us to be sensitive to other's needs as these friends are sensitive to our's. Let our ears be tuned to the whispering of your Holy Spirit and may be quick to act on what we hear. Please be with Corbin's family and friends today as they remember him and celebrate his life. Continue to be with the missions teams spreading your message around the world and even though we don't always know what is going on, we know that You are with them and they are in your hands. In Jesus name, Amen.


P.S. Since tomorrow is the 4th of July I would like to suggest that you read about the freedom that no man or men can give us in Romans chapter 6 - an even greater cause to celebrate! I'll share just a portion here, but urge you to take the time to read the entire passage.

"But now you've found you don't have to listen to sin tell you what to do, and have discovered the delight of listening to God telling you, what a surprise! A whole, healed, put-together life right now, with more and more of life on the way! Work hard for sin your whole life and your pension is death. But God's gift is real life, delivered by Jesus, our Master." Romans 6:22-23

P.S.S. Happy Birthday Becky (tomorrow)!

Brad

4 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You Brad.
I pray your day is blessed.
And I will pray safe keeping for Higgins Family and All Missionaries traveling around the world.
Dear Lord
Give peace and comfort to Corbins Family and friends.
Thank you dear Lord for our many Blessing.
In Jesus name
lkg
Indpls., In

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thank God for the real freedom we do have in Christ.

For "can anything ever separate us from Christ's love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or are cold, or in danger or threatened with death?"

"No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us."

(Romans 8:35, 37)

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Brad, for your birthday greetings. Mom and I took off and came to Beth's yesterday for the holiday. Hope you have a relaxing day tomorrow.

Love,
Becky

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy4th of july
As i sit in my house and listen to all the different noises of the fireworks.
I must give so much "Thanks"
We have such freedom compared to other places around the world.
I can only imagine, some areas hear this noise year around. And noises they hear are not that of celebration.
I give Thanks for so many Blessings I have received in my life.
Dear Lord
I pray for peace and acceptance for all people, all around the world.
Please bring an abundance of strength to all our missionaries around the world.
BJ you are in our thoughts daily.
We all miss you. I know you are watching and leading as you watch over your family, friends and all you've inspired.
Bless you Bloggers
In Jesus name
lkg
Indpls., In

 

Post a Comment

<< Home