Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I got to be a leader for the Disciple Now at my church several weekends ago. I had a group of six 7th grade girls. I was absolutely terrified at the beginning, but God really used the weekend in my life and I pray in theirs.

The first thing I got to talk about with the girls was Psalm 139. I was absolutely thrilled when I saw this as the first lesson. This is one of those passages that, having grown up the church, it is easy to become a bit calloused to. We have heard it so many times that it loses its meaning. We get into the habit of mundanely repeating these verses, along with others, like John 3:16, that have been drilled into our heads and the power in them disappears. The passion they instill in us is minimal to none.

Psalm 139 has become a treasure to me. As I am learning to stand on scripture to combat the lies that Satan feeds me and I, for so long, have taken in as truth, this passage has helped me to fight. But as I was studying to talk to these girls about who each of us is according to the Bible, and how we are each created with a purpose, God opened my eyes to even more in these verses. I had always fallen back on them as I was struggling with my physical appearance, but there is SO much more in these verses than that.

Verse 15 in the English Standard Version says this, "My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. " I love that. God intricately wove us together. It was not a quick throw in a dash of this and a pinch of that. It was a very purposeful process. God labored to make us who we are. Not only on the outside. Verse 13 says "You formed my inward parts; you knitted me together..." Not only what we look like was fearfully and wonderfully made, but God also knit our personalities together. Who we are, what we like, what we don't like, what we're good at, what we're passionate about. The Creator of the Universe took the time to take each part of who we are and knit them all together to create each and every individual being. The King of Kings took time to intricately weave me together, inside and out. It blows me away...

As a daughter of the King, knitted together by the Creator of the universe, I am learning to stop questioning who I am. I am learning that God made me exactly how He wants me to be and who am I to be anything but that. We are to have confidence in who we are not out of pride but because God made us just how He wanted. What more could we ask for?

Whitney

5 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Pray for BJ said...

My little Lou lou,

that thing you say to me about not being able to write....ppfgghh!
Girl you've got a pen with skills! With your words you take scripture and make it apply in ways others cannot. The Lord HAS blessed you with one more gift than you thought. You better keep using it. What you have to say is pertinent to all of our lives!

Love,

daddy

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whitney, you are correct about verses that become so rehearsed and recited as losing power in our walk. One great way is to hear the verse in a different context. My fav Michael W Smith recites Ps 139 on his Worship DVD. It sent chills up my spine the first time I saw/heard it. It still shakes me. I play that for the youth in my sphere of influence at least once a year. The words are powerfully written. Thanks for the reminder. \o/

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for continuing this blog. We still check in, although in the cloak of anonimity.

Also wanted to let you know that my Pray for BJ shirt still elicits questions and comments from those who see me proudly wearing it. What a blessing to share BJ's life and struggles with those around me.

Hope your family has a wonderful Christmas. Happy happy Birthday Jesus!

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving you from afar ... although I don't tend to write it as often as I feel it! You girls, your WHOLE family, bless me SO! I still tend to get emotional over not yet meeting BJ! I don't even know him (personally) and I often grieve his absence from my life!

Thank you all for blessing us the way that you do! I pray you never cease to use your gifts for the Lord! The last 2 days has brought me to tears in dealing with things in my heart that God has needed me to deal with. PLEASE - PLEASE pray for my heart to serve God to be a FULL TIME MINISTRY no matter where I am and someday, as a full time spirit led gig!

Love to you from San Diego and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Laurel Lynn <><

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What an amazingly gifted and talented family the Higgns family is. That was such an inspiring post Whitney, don't let anyone tell you that you haven't the gift of writing, they are wrong. One of my most favorite psalms, 139, you blessed my heart today.

Laurel Lynn praying that the Lord would lead you and guide you to where He wants and desires you to be.

In His Love
Linda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home