Friday, March 23, 2007

It has been an interesting morning, week really, in trying to write. There are times that you think you have a thought that is "inspired" or "perfect", write out your thoughts and then it won't post...or that you write something out in advance and sit to type it in and...you know it isn't right. The continuing purpose of this blog is to above all else, glorify Christ, and maybe what I thought I should write didn't. In any event, I accept His editing sent in various forms as a vast improvement over anything I might come up with before-hand.

My timidity has a tendency to keep me inside myself too often and the thought of just going "off the cuff" generates anxiety in me most of the time. For that reason, I do tend to sit and write out my thoughts before sharing them. However, as I stated above there are times this just isn't right or just won't work. And you know what, that is the way life is --the challenges come at us most of the time unexpectedly and without adequate time to prepare for them.

This is exactly why we should "always be prepared to give a defense of the gospel" -- we need to spend time in study (not just reading) so that when we find ourselves in a position to share we can do so. We don't have to have all of the answers at the ready because we just can't, but we need to be doing our part. When we are and these challenges or opportunities come it is amazing to see how the Holy Spirit provides the words that we need.

This is one of the things I struggle with the most and I know I am not alone. "Experts" say that our number one fear is speaking in public (even higher than death - which is as it should be if you follow Christ). When you add to that something that has become as controversial as faith and our basic belief system, whoa....I don't want to deal with it.

The closer we draw to Him the more we find we can rely on Him, to provide our needs, opportunities and words. A very big part of our faith is trusting Him to fill in the voids we fear, to speak through us when we don't know what to say. After all, it is in our weaknesses that His strength is made clear. I believe that the more we allow Him to use us, the more He will -- and in ways we might never anticipate.

We need to dig into His Word folks and come to know it in our hearts. Tougher days are on the horizon and we need to be ready to give an answer to those who have questions, or those who are literally dying to hear.

Thanks for letting me share,

Brad

4 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When God gives us an outlet to our thoughts, struggles, and prayers, we are foolish if we don't take it. My own blog isn't for others to read...only for me to share in the event that God directs someone there. this blog continues to encourage me in my faith and lets me know that my brothers and sisters also struggle. thanks for all you guys do.
Matt

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger natenamy said...

Brent, Deanna, Brad, and all of the Mexico Missions team--
Just wanted to let you know that we have been and continue to pray for you all!
Brent and Deanna, we love you lots!

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words are impacting, your heart shows through in what you say... you are doing something incredible and making an impact here even in this blog. Thank you for your willingness to listen and give... please know it is very much appreciated.

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! Brad, I have felt that so often. Every word you said in this post I have deep empathy for from my own experience with writing. I journal throughout the day (though not constantly... it varies!), with a desire to express Christ as He makes Himself known to me as the Holy Spirit teaches me and leads me in what to pen. There have been times when there was so much He was teaching me that I sat for hours in order to write down and read again and familiarize myself with - so that I could tell others - what He was doing. But there have also been times when He has led me not to write, as beneficial as it can be. "Just listen to Me, Brit..." I treasure those times in my heart. Journaling cannot begin to describe the holiness of God. But what He has shown me of Himself I don't want to keep to myself! It is a trust thing. He will make Himself known! He is so faithful, as you have probably come to find time and time again. I pray He reminds you, and all of us, of His love and faithfulness.

Thank you so much for sharing this! It is so encouraging to read.

Love to you and all the Higginses!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home