Friday, June 01, 2007

Doing the right thing can cost you something.

I can think of many instances in life where doing what was best came at an unpopular price. Either to my family, those at work, or whatever the situation.

Recently, our church nursery has been in significant need of workers. I am not sure what happened since I don't have any little ones, but I've heard that we had paid workers who got a better offer at another church. They all of a sudden left...together. I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before.

I don't know if that is actually what happened, but that is the story circulating. Regardless, you already know I ended up in the nursery two Sundays ago.

I love children. Being in the nursery is not a big deal to me. It's a lot like being a grandparent. You get to have fun with the kids, amp them up on sugar and stuff, and then give them back to their parents.

One of the young men in the toddler room that day had a virus. I know this because it kept running out his nose and crusting over on his face. I pretty much chased him around the room with a kleenex. Somehow he thought it was a game and never wearied of it.

I was surprised by that as my own children expressed themselves rather dramatically if I came towards them with tissue in hand.

Less than a week later, it happened. That little virus had chased out of his head and into mine. I was down for four days. I behaved less like him and more like my own kids. I did not let Deanna chase me around the house with tissue. I did not want to play any games. I was pretty much a lethargic mass of inactivity as I lay on the couch watching "Alias," seasons 1 and 2 for four days.

I should have been reading my Bible.

I think Sydney Bristow (star of Alias) is like a female James Bond. However, I learned some of her biggest fans reside in Tulsa, and were insulted at that depiction of her. They think she is way beyond Bond's abilities.

I really should have been reading my Bible.

Perhaps that is because she is a woman and so were those chiming in. I don't know, I've never seen her use an inflatable raft as an escape from a crashing plane whose pilots have bailed out.

No, wait. That was "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

I guess she does have better martial arts skills than Bond. Her shooting skills are about the same. I've noticed that when either of them are firing at bad guys, the bad guys tend to fall. Whenever the bad guys fire, the safest place to be is directly in the path of the guns sights. Even when they use machine guns, they just leave cardboard cutouts of their intended victim. Bond and Bristow always walk away unscathed.

I think the government agencies they both worked for must take their cues from Old Testament warfare. When the smoke clears, none are left standing but the good guys.

When my head cleared, all of the shows were over. I think it might have been a bad dream...actually, many bad dreams. I didn't take any medication, so I can't blame it on drugs. I can't remember anything that happened either. Maybe it's age, kicking in. I am pretty old. My family tells me I don't remember things anymore. I think it's a ploy for them to get what they want.

I can't remember if it's working or not.

Anyway, back to reading my Bible...is that what I was doing?

That little boy running around the nursery with a faucet for a nose. He's to blame. If he had been faster, more Bond-like, more Bristow-like, I wouldn't have been infected. I really hope I worked in the nursery the Sunday before last, cause this is all starting to scare me.

Do the right thing because it's the right thing. Regardless of the cost, the Lord will affirm you.

dad

6 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you are feeling better....God Bless

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope you're feeling better by now!

thank you for being so real all the time.

love to you all

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do the right thing and treat people right. That's what you did, unfortunately you had to 'pay' for it! It was at a small cost though when you can look back and say, "I did the right thing." When do you all leave for Peru?
Blessings to you and your family, Stacy

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

really not what i wanted to read because i dont want to work the with kids in childrens church...trying to find a way out in all reality because they dont get what i am trying to say and look like..."..............boogers...?" and then laugh and thats the depth of it all. so yeah, just some thought.
-Tara Moore

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, nike free, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, burberry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louboutin pas cher, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, nike free, jordan shoes

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, abercrombie and fitch, lacoste pas cher, nike air max, coach outlet, true religion jeans, ugg boots, ray ban uk, sac guess, vanessa bruno, tn pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, ugg boots, kate spade handbags, nike roshe, hollister, hermes, new balance pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, burberry outlet online, michael kors, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike blazer, nike free run uk, nike air max, vans pas cher, burberry, michael kors, north face, north face, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, air force, coach outlet, true religion jeans, timberland, mulberry, michael kors outlet, hogan, hollister pas cher, oakley pas cher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home