Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Yesterday, someone in the office was running an errand and took orders for treats from Sonics from the rest of the staff. Several anted up their requests before my turn came. When it did, I ordered a Banana Shake.


I was surprised at the instant negative reactions that erupted from those in the room. "Ooh ick," resounded in unison in a way my "music teacher" wife would have appreciated.


I was shocked. Why in the world would a banana shake precipitate a chorus of "boo's?"

I shouldn't have been surprised. We often get lunch together at a local eatery, and I usually order banana pudding. It's not quite as good as my Mother-in-law's, but it's okay. I convinced two of my co-workers to try some recently. They could not say enough bad things to get them past the experience.

I hear about it each time we go there.

Two nights ago, Deanna was thinking of trying a banana pudding recipe. She asked the question, "how many banana's go in banana pudding?"

I told her it really didn't matter, that it was a personal taste issue. A guest in my home insinuated that I was crazy, and that it did matter. Deanna retrieved cook books to learn it does not matter, but different recipes call for different numbers of bananas. You can pretty much do what you want.


What is the deal with people beating up on me for my proclivity for banana desserts? I like banana cream pie, too. Might as well get it out in the open.

I don't like or eat banana's by themselves. Ever since I got sick one time while consuming one, I've struggled to do it again. My wife offers every week, and I decline every week. I don't beat her up for offering.

I just like my banana's in dessert form...and yes, I know it is the perfect food. I've heard all the speeches. I just think perfect food tastes better if it's sweet.

I also like my corn on a cob. I don't like canned corn...it tastes like...a can. Creamed corn? Are you kidding? No way! On the cob is fine, or just shaved off is good, but please, not out of a can.

I sound very picky. I really am not. I eat most anything...with these exceptions, and well, I don't like cooked spinach, or asparagus in any form.

When the Sonic treats arrived, I was on the phone. My banana shake which had caused horror and repulsion among the staff was given to the wrong person. Even while being on the phone, I found joy and humor in this. I kept waiting for the unsuspecting victim to bring me my shake with a foul look on his face, to trade for the one I was given.

Fifteen or twenty minutes later, he strolled into my office....without the shake. Still on the phone, I fought to control my laughter. It seems up to that point, he did not realize he was drinking the wrong one. Only when he got to near the bottom of the cup and found two banana slices did he realize he had consumed mine.

This man, who rebelled loudly over the issue of my specific dessert, did not even realize that his pre-conceived notions were off base.

Very often, I have found this to be true among those who come to Christ. The fears they bring in terms of what they may have to give up, or what others will say, or general misunderstandings about what truth is, often fall away as empty chatter. He "tastes" far better than expected!

He's not even an "acquired" taste. He brings truth, and life to all who believe. His love for us pushes past the borders of our view of Him. Those who fear not liking banana shakes, will be fully satisfied if they "taste and see."

When I got home from work last night, Deanna had made banana pudding. It's wonderful.

To any of the staff at the office who were so overly critical about my "like" of banana confections? You don't know what you are missing!

You've heard it said, "the proof is in the pudding?" Well this is true. Both with Deanna's Banana Pudding, and with Christ!

"Taste and see that the Lord is good!" Psalm 34:8

dad

7 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

I'll resist the temptation to tell you that I liked your ap-pealing story or that I think you've officially gone BANANAS.

But I will tell you that my family and I are much in prayer for you and your team as you head to Peru, for Lauren and her team as she goes to India, for Whitney as she works and serves in Indianapolis, and for the other Awe Star teams taking the Gospel to the nations!

Blessings on you this day--in BUNCHES!

with tender love
and prayers in pink

Marti

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Banana shakes and pudding. We don't have a Sonics in New York but we have a Checkers and they have the best banana shakes. Your parable was so true about peoples misconceptions. Sometimes Christian's are such poor witnesses that people think that God is as unforgiving as his people. Once they encounter Him for themselves, they realize there is not other lover greater than His...

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie's banana pudding is sick...period.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent message today! I love how you can draw two very unlike things together!

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had some of Deanna's banana pudding the other night, and oh man! It was wonderful!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

`louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, nike free, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, burberry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louboutin pas cher, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, nike free, jordan shoes

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, abercrombie and fitch, lacoste pas cher, nike air max, coach outlet, true religion jeans, ugg boots, ray ban uk, sac guess, vanessa bruno, tn pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, ugg boots, kate spade handbags, nike roshe, hollister, hermes, new balance pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, burberry outlet online, michael kors, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike blazer, nike free run uk, nike air max, vans pas cher, burberry, michael kors, north face, north face, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, air force, coach outlet, true religion jeans, timberland, mulberry, michael kors outlet, hogan, hollister pas cher, oakley pas cher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home