Friday, July 13, 2007

The "Flip Flop Summer Tour" made it's stop in Indiana last night. The big Kenny Chesney concert, it sold out in an hour I believe. One of my friends at work got to go and was gracious enough to tell me all about it this morning. I like Kenny Chesney just fine but Sugarland opened for him and they are one of my favorites so I am quite jealous of her attendance.

I was actually listening to Sugarland on the way into work this morning and I turned to one of my favorites of their songs. It's called April Showers and the chorus goes like this:

April showers, bring May flowers and I have seen rain before
But if Sunday morning, lets that sun in, what are we waiting for
Love leaves an open door.

It's kind of a sad song, but i love it. I feel like so many people in my life right now could claim this as their theme song for the stage of life they are in. And as hard as it is, the truth is that rough times in our lives truly do allow us to grow.

1 Peter 5:10 says "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." What a great promise. After the rain, eventually the sun will return. We just have to hold on and allow the trials to finish completely to allow God to grow us in the areas He needs. When we endure the storm, we always end up better for it on the other side. So hold on and trust all that the Lord is doing knowing that He knows what He's doing.

Whitney

5 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a GREAT promise. I am glad you brought that verse to our attention this morning. I was in need of that! Thank you!

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, I surely needed that this week. God bless you.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

Oh, He DEFINITELY knows what He's doing . . . whether or not we see and/or understand!

Speaking of which, if you haven't checked out Brent's updates on the Awe Star site, the one from yesterday is not to be missed:

http://www.awestar.org/aweweb/DisplayTripUpdates.aspx and then click "PeruDrama2007" along with "Display Trip Updates" (or "Display Images" and just work with it again until you see the pictures!).

Brent will tell stories from the trip on the blog soon, I know--but this is definitely worth the read NOW! God is moving in great ways in Peru (and all the countries where Awe Star has teams this summer). Please lift up the leadership and students that they will retain/refresh their focus as they head into the final few days of ministry and return to the States near the end of next week.

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
My name is Travis. I only found your website last night thru my mercy me CD.

I never have had to deal with death until this year (i'm 24 now). I lost my best friend to cancer, he had just turned 20, and my grandmother to cancer. about 2 months apart. It's been a struggle evening remaining with God's side, the anger and so forth, but I think the hardest thing for me, wasn't the anger, but the constant choices i make to avoid how I really feel. The coating of my pain with something else. It seems i've let myself fall prey to sin to allow my pain to be covered up.

I loved the song mercy me wrote for your son, but I had no idea it had its special meaning untill last night. It brought me to tears once I knew the whole meaning of it, and then, to see someone find the path to God. In a weird way, I was envious of your son. For finding strength I can't seem to find. But I can feel the holy spirit prompting me to not be envious, but to be greatful for such an amazing example, which does infact make it easier for those who don't let pride stand in their way.

I know its been almost 2 years for you. But i am sure it seems like yesterday somedays. Sometimes I want to talk to them, my friend and my grandmother, sometimes I actually do, though I think its a little crazy, it does make me feel better. I know they will never answer back, but at the same time, its like I get to say what I feel.

In a long way of saying this, I wanted to say that I found strength through your son and your examples of strength. I have found a way to identify with you through the pain you've suffered along with the pain I've suffered, and its brought me some comfort.

With such faith behind you, I would ask for a prayer for me, to be strong in the faith aswell, bold in my faith, courageous even. o be.. faithful, to my faith. That sounds kind of funny doesn't it?

Anyways, thank you so much for sharing your pain. You've let your son's testimony be a great example to God's glory, and through that, its become something beautiful. I believe you will be blessed like Job, for the faith you've shown. God bless you, and farewell.


In Him, Travis

 
At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder, it was well needed...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home