Thursday, August 16, 2007

Many of you are already aware of the earthquake which struck Peru and killed several hundred (at current count).

Here is what I can tell you.

My team worked in the northern coastal regions, hundreds of miles north of where the quake occurred. The BJ school is located up there as well. As of right now, I have no reason to believe any of them were affected by the quake.

The missionary that I work with for our Extreme teams in southern Peru, lives in Lima, but is in the US right now for meetings. Thus far, I have no word on whether or not their homes were impacted.

The quake itself was centered 90 miles or more south of Lima along the coast. The cities most impacted by the quake are not ones my teams have worked...yet.

One of my translators lives in Lima and I am awaiting word from him on his safety and how bad things may be.

My nephew Derek worked in southern Peru. I will let him or his family comment on his proximity to the affected cities. I mean no disrespect to those who are suffering in Peru, but I am very thankful that Derek arrived home last week. However, I am sure both of us would rather be there right now to assist in any way we could, and to minister to the broken hearted.

Here are the names of those who I know would appreciate your prayer support.

Junior lives in Lima and works as an interpreter for us.

Mike and Kathy Weaver are missionaries who live in Peru, but are here in the US, currently.

Farther north, Pastor Tito is my primary contact. His wife Edith just delivered their fourth child, Stacy, a month early. Mom and daughter are doing very well! So are brother Daniel and sister Loida Joy. Their fourth child (and oldest) passed away from an asthma attack, a few years back.

Marco and Julie (both single adults) both live in Trujillo (where Tito and his family live) and were our primary translators all summer. Trujillo is the city we worked that is closest to Lima, but is still many hours (by bus) north.

Luis is pastor and the man God used to raise up the BJ School in Piura.

Pastor Raul and his family are our contacts in the city of Piura, and have assisted us greatly each time we worked their.

Thank you for your concern for these people, They will most definitely benefit from your prayer support!

Thank you to those of you who have contacted my by email and myspace to seek updated info. I will update here as I receive word.


brent

3 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been praying for Peru all last night and all day. I was anxiously awaiting what you had to say. Thank God for the safety of those we know, but we continue to pray for all others. I know how you feel about wanting to be there. We are the same way many times when there are disasters in the Philippines. Our hearts long to be there, but God has other jobs for us here! God bless you.
Leah Pinnick

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

praying praying

on our knees

in pink

with tender love.

And we STILL need to go, and to let our children go--even when we're afraid. Maybe even more when we're afraid. His power perfected in our weakness (2 Cor. 12:9)!

BJ would tell us something very similar. And he will--in his story coming out in January 08!


Marti

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me to pray for those in Peru at this time of need. God will allow His presence be known through those who are praying and reaching out to the people of Peru.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home