Tuesday, September 18, 2007



Telling people about Jesus is one of the greatest privileges I can imagine. As I read about Paul's journey's and the difficulty he encountered, I am blessed by how focused he remains.

He does not get distracted with details of suffering and imprisonment. He just spends his time telling those who will listen about his best friend...one he never knew personally, until he was overwhelmed by tremendous light on the road to Damascus.

He was passionate about Christ!

I am often moved by passion. People who are passionate stir something within me that I cannot describe. I don't always agree with what they are passionate about. I don't always agree with the direction of their passion. Yet, their passion awakens something within me.

I have been passionate about a few things in my life. I can remember when my interest for a thing or a hobby was growing. I would speak about it to anyone who would listen. If you are passionate, there will always be an audience for what you have to say.

People are moved by others who have a deep, abiding belief and understanding of what they are talking about. People want to be stirred. They are hungry for something to throw their energy behind.

I am dumbfounded as I look back at some of the things I have been passionate about, because as I gained knowledge and would speak about the topic, people would listen, and some even joined in with me to enjoy the tangible aspects of whatever it was.

I am embarrassed at how long it took me to become passionate about my Savior. I remember a trail of other interests that led up to the discovery that Jesus was truly the only passion that was worthy of my energy and effort. Each of my other interests lasted only a season. Three or four years, usually.

Jesus promises and brings fulfillment in ways that no thing or event ever can.

We can spend our lives planning for the next weekends activities. We can fill our calenders with things we enjoy doing. We can be so busy doing the things we love...and remain completely unfulfilled. This cycle continues.

We plan more things of interest to continually try to fill that void. We anticipate them. We look forward to them and talk about them. Then the time comes and goes, finding our participation enjoyable, but completely empty of the expected finished product.

We are trying to fill a Spiritual void with an intangible element of the world. It will never bring the expected pleasure over the long run.

The solution is to stop chasing after what cannot possibly bring us fulfillment. That includes everything but Jesus.

If your like me, it will take way too long before you come to understand this. Empty, unfulfilled Christians stand side by side in churches every weekend, hoping to find what they already have, but are not allowing to be all that God wants it to be. His place in their hearts is being suppressed by all of the other things that the world is offering.

They may entertain for a season, but when the season passes, so does the pleasure.

Christ alone is worthy of your passion!

dad

8 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an encouragment today to read this!
I'm studying Galatians right now, and Paul is blowing me away with the things that he says and does!

I love you, lots, and am praying for you and Deanna today!! May the Lord bless you in unexpected ways!!
Mary

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a few weeks since I updated you about Lydia. She was six weeks old last Friday and is doing great. She has her reconstructive surgery tomorrow, where they try and put her intestines together. Thank you for letting me use this blog as a prayer chain for her and her family. Love, Max

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent, I can personally testify how two of your personal passions have caused us pause and change in life decisions (one more serious than the other).

Your passion for cycling years ago, spurred us on to get involved by purchasing a tandem that we still use for pleasure and exercise. One day, a few years ago we rode with 8000 bikers on a 100 mile ride. We became passionate.

Another of your passions - missions - has led us to finally decide to follow God's prompting in our lives for years. Because of God's blessings our house has sold, our business will soon sell, and the Lord willing, we could be permanently on the mission field some time in 2008!

I'm so thankful for YOUR passions that have directly blessed and improved MY life. To God be the glory.

Dan
Deer Park, TX

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't visted your Blog in a while, but all of you have been on my mind lately. I'm glad I checked in today. God really spoke to me through you today. Thanks!

Sue Ellen

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
You spoke directly to me today
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,
Thanks for you honesty and your wisdom! I will be praying for you through this time of rememberence. God loves you and I do too!

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought you made BJ out to be the perfect child. You have shared your son, with his messy room and smelly sneakers with us. You have shared his heart and devotion to Christ in a way that is SO REAL, that we feel like we know him. Really know him. I can share his life with a strange and get in to such detail as if I was there. No Bj was not perfect, and as long as we are in this flesh, none of us are, but when you read his journals and you hear his heart ad his cry for God, That is PERFECTION. We at are old age, could only wish for the wisdom that young man, your son had.

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,

You have shared the "dirt" though you may not remember...your heart looks back through a filter of love that our Heavenly Father is proud of.

I know this is a hectic, bittersweet time and that you would like to be spending more of it with your "girls".

Missing and praying for each of you.

Brad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home