Wednesday, October 03, 2007


Mom and Dad on the streets of Latin America.
Following the Lord in His call to obedience is so simple an idea, and so difficult a task. It doesn't begin and end with following.
Once we realize what the Lord may be calling us specifically to, the way seems impossible. "Too great a task for such a simpleton," is how I often find myself feeling. I cannot see ahead. I have no idea how things will come together. I have to trust, and that scares me!
Trust is yielding your will to someone elses control.
That does not come easily for most of us. Especially when the task that is revealed to us is so much bigger than we are!
I remember a month or so ago, looking ahead to the week I have just journeyed through. Everything within me wanted to duck out of what I saw the Lord leading me to. I wanted to retreat into time with my family, and knew that I would have been fully justified in doing so.
I also knew that was not what God wanted. Deanna knew it too. She told me, "You have to go." She really didn't see that there was a choice to be made. God had opened doors and in order to be faithful, I needed to walk in obedience.
What began as 11 messages in 12 days, grew to 14 in 12 days. Today, there are three to go in this busy stretch. Two tonight, and one Sunday.
The Lord has taught me so much about looking to and leaning on Him. Where He opens doors, He provides and brings undeserved blessing.
I cannot tell you how incredible and even "out of body" much of this experience has been for me. When I see the results (or harvest) I find myself in disbelief of who God used to bring in the process of bringing about His desire for the lives of so many.
I have learned more about denying myself and allowing God to be God through this experience than I thought possible. When He calls you to something, He equips you and uses you if you don't get in the way. It can be tricky to stay out of the way. Pride is always lurking and threatens to rise up and help self claim credit.
I believe that is one of the reasons God often chooses tasks that we believe we cannot accomplish once He reveals them. He knows we will have to rely on Him. There is no way I could ever claim any credit for all He has done and is doing! The entire experience has been extremely humbling!
I remember (10 years ago) when I shared my testimony with my home church (back in Indy) about God calling me into ministry. I cried all the way through it. My pastor had to scrap his message because of how long it took me to tell my story between sniffles and sobs. That body was very patient with me.
My Lord has been even more so.
I continue to learn so much from Him and am so thankful that I serve a God who loves me enough to allow me to be used.
The journey into His obedience is an uncrowded road. It is not easy to follow where He leads, but the rewards far outweigh the fears (on the front side and throughout).
Follow where He leads! It is worth the cost!
dad

12 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent, each time I try to comment this a.m. it disappears when I enter it...I'll try again!

I remember how you were frustrated at times when you knew the Lord's call but couldn't find the place that you knew He was calling you to. I know that you would never have chosen this path, but I also know that dispite the fact that it is in a sense rooted in pain, those are the surface roots, not the tap root which is firmly planted in Christ. I know that He is the one providing your strength, sustaining you as you are faithful to His call for you.

You and Deanna are such an example for me as I listen and watch for the Lord's voice right now. I love you for being that example of faithfulness in and through the hardest of times.

Whit is home safe, I enjoyed getting a little time with her last night though I'm sorry for her, and for you guys, that she had to come back to Indy. December is coming quickly!

Know that I love you all and continue to lift you up in prayer.

Brad

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all should be so proud of you continued dedication to the cause. I am constantly in awe at how obedient your family is. I have some sin im my life that has eaten me alive for years. I stems from being sexually abused as a young child. It has left me betraying my wife and children for years in secret. It is eating me alive. I am so lost, so alone. Many times I have given up this secret side of me- but always fall short and fall back to step one. According to God's word, which I belive in wholly, I am going to Hell for my actions. I know this, this is why I struggle to change. I want to be so good as the Higgins family. I want to model Christ. I have so much pain. My only solace is in talking with someone else who is suffering from the same sickness. Someone else who "knows" what I am going through. Only, after finding comfort in a like-minded stranger, the comfort yields to repeated sin. I hate what I have become. I hate all the time I have wasted in my life obsessed with this. I have what it has taken from my family- and they dont even know it. I dont even know why I am putting this on here- I guess not being identified helps. My heart weeps for a better life. I just cant seem to quit. I know God is so frustrated and disappointed. I know sooner or later my family, my church, my youthgroup, my pastor, my town will find out... the big secrets always get revealed sooner or later. I want to change before my life is taken over and ruined...

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Pray for BJ said...

To the blogger above: I received a call from a brother who believes they have been through something similar and wants to assist you if possible. Please contact them at dan_tucker@hotmail.com. You were bold enough to write which reflects your hearts desire to truly be free. Now take the next step and let a brother assist you, please. brent

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous blogger, I'm praying for you. I can feel the pain in your words. I pray you will reach out for help. I'm reminded of these words from Tomlin's version of Amazing Grace:

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing grace

You can be free my dear brother. You can be forgiven. His great love DOES include you! My brother, I'm praying for you.
Mark \o/

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous Blogger...My prayers are with you. Nothing is too big for our Lord...trust me, I know.
God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous blogger..........prayers are being said on your behalf..............let go and let GOD help you.............

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

To Our Anonymous Brother:

None of us are "good." Not the people you know at church. Not the other bloggers. Not the Higgins family. Not even BJ! Any "goodness" we have comes from Jesus living His life through us. That's why we need Him. That's why we need to surrender our lives--as BJ learned, as the students at SACS are learning, and as I'm learning--day by day by day.

He came to set us free and to bring us from darkness to light. I am praying for you to find that "safe" person with whom you can share openly (it sounds as though God is providing one already) and begin the steps from repentance to recovery and restoration.

He loves you so much! And He already knows all about you. Nothing you have done could ever change His love or His deep desire for healing and freedom in your life.

Run to Jesus, and to the people He provides to "be Jesus" for you. The cloud of witnesses is praying. . .

. . . and for you, brother Brent, as well. Praise Him for His mighty deeds! Praise Him for His excellent greatness! Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!

with tender love
and prayers in pink,

Marti

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Marti...I'm glad you share this. I was thinking on this while going through the day and came to share something similar, so thanks again!

brad

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous blogger - freedom comes to all who surrender, and usually that comes in brokeness. Lean on and run to the Cross. I will be praying for you.

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad, You are such an example to me! I love you so much and want you to know that. If you need me to do anything let me know! Praying for you!

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marti, well said...
God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I realize that nothing is fair but I'm still trying. I just want to do my best and what is possible
povaup

 

Post a Comment

<< Home