Tuesday, October 30, 2007



"Rugs for sale" in North Africa.

I was re-reading BJ's top ten list recently. He listed the things he wanted to accomplish in his life. My guess is that he was 13, maybe 14 when he wrote it.

I know I have referenced it in the past, but I do not remember how much I have shared.

I've talked about his goal to write two impacting books, and how one of them is due out shortly.

I've talked about his goal to serve as a missionary alongside his best friend (whom he considered his brother) Taylor. Taylor served with Lauren in India this past year.

I am struck at times by the things he seemed to know. Upon his return from Peru the second year, he told Lauren, "You're going with me to North Africa, you just don't know it yet."

He told me, "Dad, you are supposed to go to Mexico this winter with Awe Star."

He told close friends, "God has called me to lay down my life for Him" (he meant it in the literal sense).

He was right on all accounts.

I am sure there are more things as well. It has caused me to pause and look at my life and what I know. What are the things I talk about? What are the things that I share? What do I know for certain, and who am I pointing in that direction?

The 10th item on his top ten list (written from 1 to 10) reflects his desire to bring glory to God in everything he does. He goes a step further and says he will never accomplish this goal, as he is human.

BJ sinned. We all sin. Because of this, we fall short of bringing the full extent of glory to God that we could. However, it is through our sinfulness, our brokenness that we are restored and made perfect in His sight. His act of redemption through the filth that we bring is further evidence of His glory. What glory would be revealed through redeeming a perfect individual?

BJ did not live a perfect life, but through the life he did live, he showed each of us that even in our sinful nature, we can glorify God, the Holy One, if we will surrender ourselves to Him, daily.

Make it your goal to bring glory to God in all you do. Don't expect perfection. Recognize that in failure, God's perfection is revealed through your repentant life. His power is made perfect in your weakness.

Weak, we all are. Even in your failings, don't let the enemy beat you down. Point others to Jesus through the forgiveness you have received. Be renewed! It glorifies Him when we recognize our need, and point others in that same direction.

dad

2 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm often like a blade of grass. I get 'stepped on' by the world and can just bounce right back. Othertimes, I am broken by something simple and have to wait to be renewed and strengthened again. I hate that part! As a christian I 'should' be able to bounce back from it all, but being human, I'm not there yet. Sometimes I 'feel' judgment coming from my brothers and sisters too, cause I'm not bouncing right back. I need and want some 'water' and 'fertilizer' yet what I get is a stick shoved through my roots and some twine to tie me up so I 'look' straight. I so resonate with MWS song, Open Arms, as he refers to the church, "tell me where's the love that knows no boundaries"
Despite being crumpled lately, I'm praying for you daily dad & mom.
\0/

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home