Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Flowers in the summer time make me happy. This is the first summer I’ve had the opportunity to plant them, and be around to care for them, since BJs death. I planted them late, after school and after our trip to Indianapolis, so the Oklahoma intense June heat along with back to back thunder storms took it’s toll on all of my petunias in the front yard. They just didn’t get a chance to get established. A dozen of the vincas in the front made it. I was quite impressed with their stamina, as well as the perennial bulbs Brent helped me plant. The back yard faired much better. All of the impatiens are thriving and my two tomato plants are doing well. Yay! A measure of success! The difference had to be the sun exposure – the back yard provides more shade.

With gardening comes the lovely activity of weeding, regularly. Why are weeds so tenacious? It’s absolutely infuriating! They get no special treatment yet they insist on growing and spreading and taking over if you’re not diligent. They don’t mind rain or sun or mulch or even concrete. They find a way to come through despite man’s most violent methods of destruction. And, their roots are incredible. How do they manage the deep and strong attachment to the earth? I don’t mind getting down and dirty, but weeds are definitely not my friend.

Another thing is that weeds are often hard to recognize. At least for me, Brent on the other hand, having studied horticulture, has a better eye than I do. Their appearance sometimes fools me into thinking it’s something I want in my flowerbed… ummmm. I have to check the shape of the leaves compared to the ivy, bushes and flower leaves.

As I am weeding, I liken weeds to evil. Evil is persistent. It comes at us in all directions and in all kinds of ways. It takes no special nurturing for it to flourish. We are inundated with the world and its evil continually. There’s really no escaping it. Some have tried to isolate themselves in temples or communities, but it isn’t at all foolproof and many times it distorts truth, as we’ve seen played out in the media too many times.

Evil is often disguised so we don’t always recognize the subtly of it. At first glance it seems good and looks good. You have to take a closer look, compare it with the truth of the Word, to determine its authenticity.

The petunias and many of the vincas were destroyed by the heat and storms. Some of the vincas plus the bulbs that were underground at the time of the storms survived the difficult environment. The shade provided the needed protection for the impatiens and tomato plants to live and grow.

It’s not too hard to see the spiritual applications here. I think that’s why Jesus told everyday stories so much. His mysterious words could be understood better with a good story about your neighbor or hidden treasure or lost sheep or weeds…

“As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of His kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.” Matthew 13:40-43

Years ago, BJ gave me a heart necklace and ring (that I still wear) along with a poem he wrote. The beginning of the poem is my favorite; I’m sharing it because he talks about weeds: “Mom: You’re the rose in the garden of my heart, with love, I’ll keep the weeds away. In my heart where Christ resides, so shall you forever stay.”

Deanna

4 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet, sweet poem.
I too love to garden. And my wife has difficulty with recognizing weeds. I just tell her, if they are smaller than a shrub, taller than the ground cover and look healthier than my roses, then they must be a weed! lol It is amazing how a tiny clover that is passed over, not even noticed, is a foot tall in a couple of weeks!! Loved your post today.
Mark \0/

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pleasure to read updates from BJ's family. I recently finished reading, "I Would Die For You," and felt led to share BJ's story with the students in my youth group. We've had some incredible breakthrough in our ministry just by sharing what God has done in the lives of other young people. Please know that BJ's legacy continues to minister to all ages. Thank you for sharing his story.

-Pastor Tim
West Branch, Michigan

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

I've been reading nearly every day but not taking time to post. Deanna, you and Brad are doing such a great job of updating while Brent is away. Like you, I'm always blessed when people respond to the story and message of I WOULD DIE FOR YOU.

This blog, like the book, has never been "all about BJ." It's always all about Him.

Thanks for keeping it that way, and for helping us tackle those weeds in our own lives!

with tender love
and prayers in pink,

Marti

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger debbiekins said...

i am a 12 year old girl and i just read i would die for you. it was really great ang now i am working on my connection with God. thank you so much for writing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home