Wednesday, August 13, 2008


My very good friend Laura, showing the joy of the Lord


My house is soooo quiet in the morning. As a matter of fact, it is quiet most of the time now.

While I was in Peru, Lauren moved into her own place with some friends. I am both excited for and proud of her. This begins a new era in her life.

It seems like forever since Whitney has lived with us. She is doing very well in the Denton, Tx area.

A couple of years ago, a friend gave me a Rob Bell Nooma video on "loss." In it, he talks of the devastation and life change that it brings. In the background, music is playing.

When I awoke this morning, that music was playing within me. I am not sure why. I haven't watched or thought about that video in a long time.

While in South America, there was never quiet for long, at any given time. I loved my team of students, and it changes you when you see them engage fully for the Lord. That is a vision that never leaves your head. Seeing them minister to thousands of people and knowing the King of Kings has called them there to do so is a most humbling experience.

It's interesting, my memories of this are usually set to music as well.

Music has a way of transporting us to remembrance. Most of us can remember certain songs that were special in the past and when we randomly hear them today, we are flooded with things that bring a smile to our faces.

The quiet I awoke to this morning, was far too melancholy. The background of that Nooma video music was unwelcome. It did not bring smiles, rather a foreboding sense of being alone.

Of course, I am not alone! I have my lovely bride here with me. I missed her so much this past summer. I could not wait to see her again! This morning, when my alarm went off, and I sat up, she encouraged me to lay back down for a bit, and she began to scratch my back.

Anyone who knows me, knows that scratching my back renders me paralyzed. It calms me. I am virtually incapable of movement as the those fingers bring screams of jubilation from every skin cell they encounter. I laid back down...and the music began.

While I was away, I could not wait to return to my wife, and share in the deafening quiet. I am glad to be back with her! I just didn't remember the quiet being so unfriendly.

We've certainly reached that place where our home has emptied itself of the din of offspring.

There are times we need quiet and it is good.

I just happen to find myself wondering what to do with it just now.

It works very well for my time with the Lord. I want it to be silent at these times. I just find myself not wanting the quiet to be so...well, loud.

I'm thankful the Olympics are on pretty much all the time. It's hard to get enough of watching Michael Phelps win another Gold! His smile is incredible! The tears his mother and sisters spill in an already humid arena, are endearing.

I like that story.

I wonder how the quiet will seem to them, when they return.

My son competed in swimming. He never won gold, but he walks streets made of it.

I can hear the constant whir of the ceiling fan, traffic is starting increase its demands outside. Another jet is descending overhead, headed to the Tulsa airport.

I think I'll get up and make some noise. It's just too quiet.

dad

3 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Hopeful Pediatric Oncology Nurse said...

I think it's too quiet sometimes! When I work, I have to listen to music. When I'm being bored, my radio is always on. Gotta listen to something for that matter.
I'm so glad you love your wife, Brent. My parents... they love each other, but don't always show it as maybe you and Deanna do. I'm awed and amazed at what you do everyday, how much faith you have, that you care so much for your wife and daughters. And when he was around, your son. (Though, I think you still care about him!) Thank you so much for keeping this blog up-to-date. I find much joy in it whenever I can. God Bless you in your day, your work, and your life.
I pray for you and your family!
Love, Leslie.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My His sounds of glory fill you today, Brent. Kids are at school today. It is quiet here. A different quiet. I'm praying for you and Deanna to find the awesome noises and fulfillment of the children you "parent" through your ministry. We all love you!

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home