Monday, February 23, 2009


High in the mountains, live the Totonac Indians of Mexico. This was one of the few women who (knowingly) allowed me to take her picture. They are a shy people, and fear photos steal their soul.


I am realizing how significantly blessed I have been to make these trips over the last month. I spent half the time in Mexico that I had in East Africa, but feel like I saw nearly as much.

At the risk of scaring anyone off from ever wanting to travel with me, this journey also included much road time.

I flew to Laredo, Texas on Sunday morning a week ago, and was picked up at the airport by friends from La Primera Iglesia Bautista (PIB), from Nuevo Laredo. We traveled across the border and the real journey began.

This was my 5th trip to Nuevo Laredo. I have learned much Spanish over the last three years, with my trips here and to South America. I can speak enough to get by, but also just enough to encourage people to begin full out conversations with me, where I am quickly lost, and a bit embarrassed (if I had only learned more in my high school Spanish classes!).

We were not in Nuevo Laredo long. I arrived in the afternoon, went to church that evening with my friends, spent the night with the Pastor and his family, and then got up at 4:15 the next morning to begin the long journey to the mountains of Veracruz, where we were scheduled to visit Cerro Grande, and La Cruz (don't bother looking them up on most maps...they are so small, they rarely show up...we were southeast of Tuxpan, and inland quite a ways).

I am happy to report, my life was never in danger on this trip! Perhaps that makes for less exciting storytelling, but I am most grateful!

I can likely sum up my journey in two or three days. This trip had less unknowns, going in. My friends from PIB have been working here several times annually for the last few years. They knew where we were going, how to get there, and did most all of the driving in a van, rather than a bus (PTL!).

The hours in the van were very long (nearly 20 hours each way). As a boy, I did not want to travel. I was and still am a homebody. I like home, I like staying at home, and traveling to different countries has never been on my agenda of life goals.

Still, the Lord knows the needs of my life, and how to cause me to confront my weaknesses. And how to best prepare me to be more useful to Him. I do not necessarily enjoy that aspect of these journeys. Still, I know it is necessary, and would not trade any of these, as I have seen Him work in ways I would not want to have missed.

I am aware that He is changing me.

I am aware that these changes are necessary.

Growth is painful.

Loving and serving my King is what I want to do.

In the next couple of days, I will tell you of my experiences with my friends from PIB (five of us traveled together), and the Totonac Indians.

We are privileged to serve and be loved by an amazing God!


brent

2 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear Brent! I look forward to hearing how your trip went.

god Bless!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Matthew Pritchett said...

Brent,
Thanks for the update! Standing beside you in prayer over this and every opportunity this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home