Thursday, October 22, 2009


Kuna children


This blog will be hard for some to read. I caution you to proceed at your own risk.

The remains of another child, found in a Georgia landfill, have been identified. She is the precious seven year old who went missing off of the streets of Florida, while walking home from school.

Our world is spiraling out of control. When we take children and use them as our means of sexual gratification, and then throw them away, we have reached the lowest of lows.

This story rises to the surface amid the clamor of the child sex trade being alive and well in the USA. For a long time, we heard it was prevalent in many Asian countries and we've seen similar stories play out on television cop shows as though this trade was active here.

It's not that I doubt it, it's that I wanted to believe it was not so. I wanted to believe that we were not that sick. I wanted to believe... but I can't any longer. It's here. They are being abused and they are dying. What are we gonna do about it?

Some have started missions for those rescued from this slavery, and tend to their needs. Others go and serve in these same places. This is good. It is a blessing for those rescued, but it is not enough.


When I was young, I was traveling with my family. We had stopped at a restaurant to eat. We were either traveling with friends, or had met them there at this diner. Conversation was in full swing, and I was focused on eating. I sought to clean my plate while my parents talked to our friends.

Nearing the end of the meal, I asked to be excused to go to the restroom. I believe I was probably around the age of 6. I was little for my age.

As I stood at a urinal in the restroom, the door opened. I glanced over my shoulder to see one of the restaurant workers enter. I could tell by his clothing and the pointy hat he wore. He was likely the cook or dishwasher, I wasn't sure which. He was probably in his late teens to twenties. I am afraid I was not a good judge of age at that time. However, I have not forgotten his look.

Just as I finished my business and moved to zip up and then wash my hands, I will never forget what happened next.

In my motion to move, he stepped forward. He was tall and lean. I was short and... defenseless. He reached down and grabbed me. What he did to me, he had no right to do. The entire encounter probably only lasted a few seconds, but it seemed like eternity.

Today, when I think back, I am surprised that he let me leave. I hurried out and back to my waiting family. I was sick at my stomach.

I did not understand what had just happened but I knew it was wrong. This was before the days of teaching children about "good touch, bad touch."

I did not know what to do or say. I sat in a daze. I tried not to think about it, but I couldn't help it. At some point, my parents realized something was wrong. They were very kind and loving. I wasn't sure if I should tell them. I wasn't sure if I could tell them. I didn't want to get into trouble.

My father persisted until I told my story. Then he disappeared.

I don't know what he did about it. He was gone for a while, talking to the manager I assume.

We left.

I remember staring out the window not knowing what to think. What had just happened to me was not a common occurrence in that day. At least it did not routinely get publicity.

Years later, when I was in junior high, I had a math teacher who was "very friendly." I was small for my age. I was naive. During class, he would come to answer questions at my desk. While answering them, he would put his hand on my leg and begin to rub it. He proceeded up my leg. He went too far.

Other students joked about him being a pervert. He had done this to others as well.

Years later when I was in high school, I had an early morning paper route. He began to show up on my route and hunt for me. We call it stalking, today.

One morning when I had had all I could take, I ran up to his little green Pinto, and screamed at him at the top of my lungs. I told him to leave me alone. I never saw him on my route after that.

While I was in college, I was foreman on a landscape crew during the summer. My team and I were landscaping a yard, when I noticed this same man come out of the house next door and begin to watch me. He lived there. It was a big job and I was going to have to be here for several days.

I was suddenly six again and I acted like it. I was sick at my stomach. I wanted to go an throw up. I wanted to go and "punish him."

I was very fortunate. I survived.

I have moved past most of this... except for the sickness I feel every time I hear of another child being kidnapped, abused and killed.

We serve a God who loves us desperately. He has given us wisdom. We often use in it perverse fashion. We have taken the technology for the internet and put horrendous pictures and video on it. It compels many who are perverse of mind, forward. It is so easy to get our hands on that which we should not access in the first place.

Many start out innocently enough, and soon through pop-up screens, etc, are taken into a world that they cannot or will not get out of.

We must do more. I survived. Many are not. Many are dying while we shake our heads and say, I'm sure glad that wasn't my child.

We have the mind of Christ! Let us begin to use it for His glory and the deliverance of the defenseless.


dad

3 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Marti Pieper said...

No words seem adequate. I cry for my friend and for all the small and precious victims of huge and horrible crimes.

I read this morning, "Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom He has redeemed from the hand of the adversary" (Ps. 107:2). That's what you've done today. And this, too(painful as it was and is) will be used for His glory. I see it. I know it.

Even through the tears--we say so!

praying in pink
with tender love,

Marti

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent, I know it took courage to write those words. We appreciate your willingness to be open.

A crime perpetrated too often...all over the Country. We can only pray to being able to reach more people, spread God's Love to those whose lives are in desperate need of it. The Holy Spirit being able to break through even the most depraved of minds.

Praying for the families and the victims and for the near and soon coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Lisa
S.C., CA

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Kim Mierau said...

Brent, I am really... amazed? humbled? thankful? for your honesty here. I cannot imagine how those who do not have God cope with abuse, shame, and grief. How heavy God's heart is for us, but even moreso for those who don't have his hope and strength.

Love, Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home