Tuesday, November 17, 2009


on the streets, among the mountain people of Huamachuco, Peru


I am growing more excited about the season! As the holidays draw near, I can hardly wait to be with family. Whitney, Jared and the puppies are coming for Thanksgiving. Lauren will be here. It's gonna be great!

I cannot remember the last time I ate at Cracker Barrel. For some reason, Sunday we did. We waited in line (which is one of my favorite things). Waiting would made easier by the many gift options available. It would be, but there were so many people that just trying to stand still was uncomfortable. A bit like being in a crowded elevator and waiting for the door to finally open.

Anyway, once out out of the cattle chute, we were able to enjoy our meal. That place is so 'down home' that it just makes me think of family.


I raked my yard this past weekend. Cleared it of my neighbors tree leaves... mine haven't fallen off yet... they are oak and like to be last off. My mistake was that I did not rake his yard too.

Wind plus time equals my yard needs raked of my neighbors leaves, again.


The weather has finally turned fall like. Yesterday was in the 40's for a high! Today is to be the same. I like this. I want snow!

For the last couple of years, I have had winter trips scheduled. Each time I leave, it snows... or ices. Deanna has been home alone during these lovely times. She would rather do without.

For those in the Tulsa area, I leave December 1 for several days... you may want to get your shovels and snow blowers ready (if you live in Tulsa and have a snow blower, you do understand the word 'hope').


I'm thinking of taking hunting back up. It's been years since I did. My kids are grown and will no longer talk about the fate of "Bambi," if go. I think the timing might be right.

I still remember being with family and seeing a buck lying in the back of a pick-up truck at a breakfast stop. I had to explain why Bambi was sleeping there. I think I told the truth, I can't remember.

If I'm going to hunt, I'm going to need some supplies. I have arrows from Uganda, but no bow. I have a knife from the Bedouins of the Sahara and a machete from Panama, but I don't plan on hand to hand combat. I'm pretty sure that went out with 'Rambo.'

Come to think of it, why is that show on every time I turn on my tv?

Hunters today, all wear camouflage. I don't own any. I could do an Adam and Eve thing and use my neighbors leaves!

I really don't think it matters to the deer. Why do we dress up for them anyway? I'm pretty sure this is the guys version shopping for a prom dress.


Anyway, I love this time of year! So much anticipation. The aroma of baking fills the house. Spiraling columns of woodsmoke ascend from the chimney. We can unplug those glade contraptions and burn candles with scents of the seasons.

I bought a new candle at Cracker Barrel. It must be good cause it was really expensive. Something about a "wood wick." I don't know what that means, but it smells like Frasier Fir when it burns, and my whole house smells like Christmas!

I don't know what she's baking, but it smells wonderful and I am getting hungry!

Wait, maybe she's not really baking. Do they make a 'warm brownie butter' candle?


All foolishness aside, I cannot imagine celebrating the upcoming seasons, without my Savior! I love my family, but without Him, all would be meaningless!

Seeing Him change lives from the inside out is a blessing. Celebrating who He is with family, is a privilege. Getting to tell others about Him in the process, is an honor.

Oh, how I love Him so!


dad

4 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless,
Greenfield, Indiana

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger KK said...

You leave.

It snows.

We get to have your wife over for multiple day sleepovers and baking adventures.

:)

Love it.

P.S. If you want to go hunting, I hope you know I am more than capable of "hooking you up" haha.

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog. Made me smile today!

Lisa Potter
S.C., CA

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you Uncle Brent. Please don't make clothes out of just leaves, that would be scary! Here in Costa Rica we have already decorated for Christmas. Since there is no Thanksgiving holiday we get Christmas decor early. We have enjoyed that! We'll try to be in contact soon,

Derek Tucker
San Jose, Costa Rica

 

Post a Comment

<< Home