Tuesday, June 08, 2010


Whitney with her dog, Sig


We had a blessed time with family and friends in Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee over last week! It was a joy to be with each of them.


I am stirred deeply by real passion. Simultaneously, I struggle to understand those who seem to lack it.

I believe we were created as people of passion. Passion gets us into trouble when self-control is on hiatus.

Titus 2:11-14 says: "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope -- the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."

If I'm honest, I am eager to do what is "good" for ME. I am not equally enthused to do what is "good" according to his Word.

I am not alone. When I look around, others who claim to be believers focus on gathering around them the things and comforts deemed important, individually. I see few who are radical or passionate about fulfilling the obedience we are each called to.

Much of the time, we are creating disciples for the things in life we love. For some reason we can replicate interest in things unimportant far more easily than moving people to serve as He did.

This has something to do with the gratification that comes from filling our flesh. It happens immediately, but is very short lived. Then we plan for the next moment we can imbibe. Short term gratification produces long term dissatisfaction.

Only Jesus slakes the thirst that lust seeks to entertain.

Too often, real passion for Him only gets stirred on the heels of loss or significant conviction.

Few of us allow significant conviction to happen in our lives. We hold firmly to the things we consider dear... even at the cost of disobedience to the One who died for us.

I must allow Him to eviscerate the pursuits from my life that produce an impotent warrior.


dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home