Tuesday, March 29, 2011


What does it mean to 'count the cost?'

Many count the cost to go on vacation, buy a house or car, or figure out college finances.

How many of us sit down and 'count the cost' of following our Savior?

It is one thing to budget for things we want. It is another to consider the expense of what He calls us to do.

Colossians 3:3 says, "For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."

If this is true, then our lives should be lived in such a way that reflects Jesus. If we are living a life that reflects Him, then we are not self promoting, self serving, or self...ish.

I fear this is seldom descriptive of where I live.

I like routine, comfort, family, and for things to be predictable. I don't care to travel, like the heat of the southwest, enjoy crowds, or speaking in front of them.

God has not called me to the predictable.

If I were to live life like I'd like, I'd be in a mountaintop cabin with my wife and the bare essentials.

It's hard to be missional, if you don't live or move among people.

When we stop to 'count the cost,' I wonder if we set aside self.

How much different would the landscape look if we used our abundance to meet the needs of those who do not have. If we really sought to speak truth to those who don't know it, how different would our lives be? How different would our children's lives be?

If we truly 'counted the cost,' would we be prepared to die? His Word says we are dead already, and hidden in Christ. Too many of us live like we expect to be revered.

I've heard some believers crow about how they expect to be martyred. In the martyr stories I know, the individual bragged on their Savior, not how their own life would come to an end.

Self promotion even in death, falls short of bringing Him glory.

He is best glorified through our simple obedience.

We best 'count the cost' when we follow His heart and speak of Him.

What must I do to 'count the cost?'

For starters, stop looking in the mirror and start reflecting on His Word. Seek to serve, (not to be served). Love others. See their need and meet it.

He can change the world, if we 'count the cost.'


dad

4 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch....but a much needed ouch.

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. To both the above comment and your blog.

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

supreme clothing
retro jordans
curry 6 shoes
hermes birkin
nike vapormax
christian louboutin outlet
nike air max 95
christian louboutin shoes
reebok shoes
michael kors

 
At 6:15 AM, Anonymous quilted couch cover said...

If I were to live life like I'd like, I'd be in a mountaintop cabin with my wife and the bare essentials.
king size comforter sets on sale ,
leopard print comforter ,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home